Chapter 1

Nazareth

The death of Joseph. It has come as a shock to the family.

A shock. Think of it: a shock!

Of course, the funeral has to be done as soon as possible. The climate in Palestine is forcing the inhabitants thereof to hurry up. The corpse of the old carpenter of Nazareth is covered up with white linen from Egypt. The face is bound with a scarf. His wife, now a widow, Mary (her name means "bitter"), could not but wail at the death of her husband! How can this happen? Why did God let this happen?

Now the adolescent men of the wayward city get a cot and take the body of Joseph carefully to the stretcher. They are worried that they would die and so leave their families alone in this cruel world. But they cannot prevent death from coming.

Mary is about to collapse to wail on the floor, but her grown son could not let her. "Oh, dear woman," he says. "Look, I understand you. Believe me."

Jesus and his brothers and sisters try to get Mary to control herself. But she cannot help it. "Oh, Joseph!" she would exclaim time and time again. "Why, God? Why must he die?"

Mary is at the point of gloom. She at least has 7 children with her: 1 son, 4 sons—James, Joseph Jr., Simon, and Judah—who was brought over from Joseph's earlier marriage, and 2 daughters from her. Those 4 sons were from the same Joseph after he was widowed.

Now it is Mary who is widowed. "How I hate that disease! It took away noble Joseph from me!" Mary moans.

"Mother," replies James, the eldest of the children, "it is time to carry him to be buried."

Now he turns to the 2 young men. "What are you waiting for? Let's go! On with it!" James has a voice that sounds like he has authority.

Jesus sighs. How can he be so sure of himself? I am certain James wants to be a leader someday... someway.

Now the stretcher with the body is carried out of the chamber, then out of the house. Mary and the children follow them out. Jesus is right at his mother's side. He is sympathetic with her concerning her loss, especially regarding Joseph. He remembers working with him at the carpenter's shop with his step-brothers. He was like a father to Jesus.

But Jesus knows Joseph is not actually his father.

There are wailings from those haunting the funeral. As they pass the city gates, the Jews have to pass through the Roman soldiers dressed in red suits and with iron armor and helmets. They are commissioned at the gates.

Oh, how the Jews hate the fact that they are not independent anymore. They had lost that precious independence some 85 years ago, and the Romans now dominate them! Their land is part of the powerful Roman Empire, but the Jews never asked to be part of the Roman world.

There have been seditions, and there will still be revolts against the iron fist of Rome. But they will fail! But that does not stop the Jews from trying. There is now a sect that does not believe in Rome ruling the Jews: the Zealots.

Nazareth's people are often associated with the Romans, since many soldiers are housed nearby the city. Jews hate even mentioning the city. Those in Jerusalem call it a wicked city, just as much as Magdala, a major fishing center where Romans also rule.

Now the funeral parade exits out of the hilly town of Nazareth, with mourning and displays of sobbing. People walk shoeless. Others shred up part of their woolen garments. And still others splash dust all over their heads. People beat their breasts to express their customary grief concerning the town carpenter. They cross by fig trees, olive trees, and some cypresses.