Chapter 12

The Temple at Jerusalem

Nicodemus would listen as Jesus speaks about a "kingdom of God", which is the rule of God in people's lives. It is present in the words and works of the Carpenter from Nazareth.

A deep impression has fallen on the city during Passover Week. People note how Jesus brings truths to light. Jesus regularly teaches at the Temple courts, most often at Solomon's Porch. Nicodemus would listen to Jesus speak... but from a distance. There's a beauty in the words and sentences. Everything he says is precise. Impressed thus, Nicodemus wants to learn more of the teachings of Jesus.

"Nicodemus, time for the council," says another Pharisee to Nicodemus, one Joseph of Arimathaea.

+

At the council of the Sanhedrin, the high priest Caiaphas tells the other members, "Must we take action against the Galilean, this Jesus?"

Some nod Yes. But Nicodemus stands up. "Be careful," he says. "If Jesus really comes from God, it would be truly dangerous to reject his warnings against sin."

Silence. Annas, chief priest seated at the right side of his son-in-law Caiaphas, says, "It'll take a matter of time to test whether Jesus is some prophet of God or not!"

Caiaphas is still upset about the disruption of funds from Jesus denouncing publicly his corrupt money-earning system. He still hasn't met Jesus face-to-face yet, but he truly wants to take measures against the Galilean.

He says to Annas, "There may be trouble, you know."

"Explain," requests Annas.

Caiaphas says, "The people may not listen to us anymore. Something must be done about this man."

"We'll see into this," says the old Annas.

The Mount of Olives

Jesus of Nazareth is out on the Mount of Olives tonight. It's the last day of the Passover Festival. It lasts seven days in the Festival of Unleavened Bread, when no leaven is to be found. Of course, Jesus says symbolism in the feasts of his Father. Leaven represents sin.

Jesus is praying to his heavenly Father right under the stars in the cool night sky. When he finishes, he turns to see someone coming. The person is well dressed. Looking closely at these garments, Jesus could tell this is a Pharisee.

The man introduces himself as Nicodemus. The Pharisee wants to speak to Jesus, but he comes at night. Jesus could tell he's a seeker for truth. Will he ask for some truth?

Jesus listens as Nicodemus states, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one could give such signs as you are giving, unless God were with him."

Jesus notices how Nicodemus refers to him as Rabbi and a teacher from God. So is Nicodemus saying he has become a disciple? But Jesus wants to open before this Pharisee a truth about the kingdom of God—that it is pure of all sin.

And so Jesus answers, "In truth, I tell you, unless a person is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Nicodemus gives a confused face. But Jesus explains that he meant that a person should be born of baptism and of the Holy Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus says it's hard to explain how anyone is born of the Spirit, just as it's hard to explain where the wind is from.

Even with this quite easy explanation, Nicodemus doesn't get it.

"You are a teacher of Israel, and yet do not understand this?" asks Jesus.

Then Jesus says that both he and the Father witness concerning the truth, but people don't tend to listen. "If, when I tell you people earthly things," says Jesus, "you do not believe me, how will you believe me when I tell you people of heavenly things? No one has ascended to heaven, except him who descended from heaven—the Son of Man himself."

Nicodemus wonders, Who is this "Son of Man"? Could Jesus be referring to himself? Did he really come from... HEAVEN? And how?

Then Jesus reminds Nicodemus of that story in the Scriptures about Moses, a prophet. The Israelites were complaining, "Why have you brought us up from Egypt to die in the wilderness?" So God extracted his protection from them, and there came snakes, but not just any snakes. They were poisonous!

As people were dying because they were bitten by these harmful snakes, they begged Moses to pray for them. In response to Moses' prayer, God told him to build a model of a snake-like those poisonous snakes, and set it upon a pole, that anyone who was bitten who looks at it by faith that they would be healed, will be healed.

This Moses did. He made the snake out of bronze and set it on a pole. But when the pole stood upright, the snake slid down. So Moses had to fix another stick horizontally on the pole, and the bronze snake was fixed to the pole. Then he told the people, "God said that if you look at this bronze snake, you will be healed."

There was great healing that day.

But back to the Mount of Olives; Jesus says, "So, as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that everyone who believes in him may not perish, but have eternal life."

Lifted up? Nicodemus thinks.

Nicodemus has in mind that execution device used by the Romans. The victim is to be hung from the upright wooden stake, the arms strained out, having been secured to another wooden beam, which is anchored on the stake. Hanging thus, the victim would have their legs tied to the stake, resulting in difficult breathing. Perhaps even nails would be driven through... no, no, this is not a good thought to have at all.

And from the distance, they both—Nicodemus and Jesus—could see the walled city of Jerusalem, and outside the city—Pilate, governor of Judea, won't incite Jewish feelings by having crucifixions within the walls of their metropolis—can be seen stakes.

Nicodemus wondered whether men could be saved by looking at someone hanging on a Roman cross. But maybe it IS true, but I just don't understand it clearly.

Jesus tells Nicodemus that his mission is not to make an earthly kingdom but a heavenly one. And by the story of the snake, Jesus speaks of how a change can be made in one's life. That's something Nicodemus wills.

And Jesus says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life."

Jesus speaks about truth and light. And Nicodemus listens carefully. Finally, Nicodemus leaves, with the hope that Jesus proves himself in due time.

+

After the Passover Feast, Jesus tells his six disciples that people would soon be coming to him. After all, his cleansing of the Temple has given such a big impression on him and his message.

"So? Isn't that good news?" probes Philip.

They still believe in an earthly kingdom, and that soon Jesus would realize this dream. But of course, Jesus has no such intention. "I'm going to let you baptize like the Baptizer has been doing," replies Jesus. "I will teach the people that come to me, seeking for truth."

So it is agreed. They would go around the land of Judea.