Chapter 24- Hush Little Baby

An adventure! Naomi loved adventures. Her blue boots pinched her feet as she tried to force them on. She couldn't wait to do something fun. 

"They're on the wrong feet Naomi."

Mummy had a funny look on her face as she stood over Naomi. With a giggle, little hands swapped the shoes over. The pinching instantly subsided. That felt much better. She had never been out so late before; mummy and daddy said little girls need their sleep. She wondered where they were going. Were they going to the park like mummy had promised earlier? Naomi hoped so. She was often the smallest child there and the easiest to push out of the way. It would be nice not to have to share the slide. 

Mummy packed Naomi's pyjamas and slippers into a bag alongside the sticks mummy always had in her mouth. Naomi hated the smell of the sticks, but they made mummy happier, so she didn't mind too much. Daddy never used the sticks. He smelt nice all the time. Mummy held out the purple coat with unicorns that Naomi loved the most. Pushing her arms into the holes, she bounced in anticipation. 

"Keep still. I need to do your zip up. I said hold still. Naomi!"

She stopped moving instantly. Uh oh. Mummy was getting angry again. She didn't want to ruin the adventure. Her hair caught in the zip causing her to cry out. She flinched, waiting for the rough hand to tug the strands free, leaving behind precious locks. The pain didn't come. Mummy broke her free, tucked the hair behind her ears and zipped the coat back up. Phew. Mummy was happy again. 

"Right. We don't tell anyone about this little adventure okay? It's our secret."

Wendy held her finger to her lips. Naomi copied, huge smile spread on her face, bringing her dimple to life. She wouldn't tell anyone. Except Scruffy Bunny. She told him everything. She watched as mummy put a key in her coat pocket. It was shiny, not like the ones on mummy's keychain. 

Hand in the hand, the pair braced the torrential rain, like razors against their skin. The kiss of warmth in mummy's car stung their frozen fingers. Mummy put the radio on, the music filling the car. They sang and danced, streetlights illuminating the inside every now and again so that Naomi could see mummy watching her through the mirror. She smiled, wriggling her head side to side as Beauty and the Beast began to play. She loved Disney car rides. 

"When we get to our surprise, mummy needs you to be very, very quiet. We don't want anyone to know we're there. Can you do that for me Honeybee?" mummy's eyes stared at her, waiting for an answer.

Naomi nodded. She could be quieter. She could be the quietest person ever. 

They'd been in the car for hours. Naomi's eyes felt heavy as she struggled to contain yawn after yawn. Mummy hadn't said anything to her for the longest time. Instead, she mumbled to herself under her breath. Naomi tried to listen but the words were lost beneath the hum of the car. Houses gave way to trees and fields. Craning her neck, Naomi tried to see if there were any animals. When they'd gone to the zoo with daddy there had been a whole field of sheep and cows. Naomi had pointed excitedly, mimicking the noises the animals would make. It was too dark to see anything past her own reflection. 

"We're nearly there. You're being such a good girl for mummy."

Naomi smiled. She liked it when mummy called her a good girl; her stomach would flutter at the words. The biggest house Naomi had ever seen rolled into view. The car purred to a stop. With a wrinkled nose, Naomi waited for mummy to get her out of her car seat. A house? How was someone's house a fun adventure? 

Puddles lined the pathway to the front door. Naomi hopped beside mummy taking care not to screech too loud. Maybe someone else's house could be fun after all. She watched mummy take the shiny key from her pocket, put it in the hole and turn it. The door opened with ease. 

What Once I Was On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara