Twelve - "Are you practicing to be a mannequin?"

Start from the beginning

"Eat them, they're all yours."

"But I can't finish them all alone, sir. I need someone to eat with me."

He sat forward and looked at me intently. The anger was gone on his face, and replaced with something more dangerous.

"Is that an invitation, Miss Rosi?" his dark brows rose.

"What?"

"Are you inviting me to have dinner with you?"

My eyes grew big, realizing that he misinterpreted what I said.

"Oh! No, no, of course not, sir," I shook my head, my face burned with embarrassment.

"Too bad," he shook his head, "I realized, I haven't interviewed you yet. I was thinking we could do it now, while having dinner together. But since, you don't want to eat with me..." he returned to his papers, "just give me my coffee, Miss Rosi, then you can leave."

Did I hear him right? He considered having dinner with me?

"Oh no, no. I actually want to have dinner with you, sir."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Absolutely," I nodded, giving him a cheerful smile.

Finally, he chuckled. It was the sweetest sound that I've ever heard at that moment.

"A self sacrifice, just to save your employer from dying of caffeine overdose," he dropped his pen on the desk, then stretched, "the staff will be forever grateful to you, Miss Rosi."

"I'm sure they will," I agreed, then started setting the food on the small square table before he'd change his mind.

Good that there were extra plates and utensils in the trolley. Some extra placemats and table napkins too. I arranged them beautifully on a table, then told the master that the table was ready.

It was very awkward, face to face with Kristov Stavrakos, and sharing a delicious meal. My heart throbbed so fast, my pulses raced and my hands shook terribly. It looked very intimate, just the two of us inside the room.

"Do you... um.." I asked.

"Are you..."

We both talked simultaneously, so I stopped.

"Go ahead," he said, "ladies, first."

"Um... do you often have dinner with Callio... I mean, Miss Chloros? She never mentioned that it's part of the job."

His eyebrows furrowed, "Never. I never eat with my staff, and it's not part of your job either."

"I'm flattered by the privilege, sir."

"You were pretty insistent and irritating, you wouldn't leave me alone," he chuckled, then concentrated on cutting the big flank of beef to thin strips.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so annoying."

The corner of his lips twisted in a little smile, then he put half of the steak on my plate.

I gave him a cheerful smile, and was returned with another penetrating look. We ate in silence, both of us were enjoying the food.

"This steak is really good," he said later on, breaking the silence.

"Of course. It took whole day for Mrs. Deary to prepare it. She wanted it to be the best beef steak that you've ever tasted in the whole world."

"Well, she did a great job on it."

I smiled at him again, beaming, while chewing the steak. I was so happy that finally, he ate.

He smiled back, and stared at me.