50

George

"It was an accident, I swear," Fred protests, glancing sideways at me, the corner of his mouth twitching.

McGonagall sighs heavily before bombarding us with questions. "Do you boys have any idea how risky it was even bringing that here? What if it had gotten into the maze? Must I remind you that Miss Clearwater is in there? I suspect you are rooting for her to win this, are you not? Do you realize you could have put her in extreme jeopardy?"

My heart stutters even at the mention of Katie's name. It was risky, I know, but we needed a diversion so that I could sneak the flask from Moody — the weight of which now sits comfortably on my hip, tucked into the waist band of my pants. 

I also knew that if I asked Fred to help me set off the small amount of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder that we just got in the mail after spending nearly all of ours and Lee's savings on it — just enough so it'd blind this small area that Moody was standing in — he would. And to be honest, we needed to pull a prank together again, because I've missed that look in his eyes. I haven't seen it since he found out about Katie and I, but now, it feels like he's starting to finally forgive me.

We've never been the best at communicating verbally. We communicate and show our love through pranks. So the fact that we hadn't pulled a prank together in months killed me, but I realize I deserved it.

I also did avoid telling him that this wasn't exactly a prank, though. And that I want to get as far away from Moody as I possibly can because he's more-than-likely a Death Eater who's supposed to be dead.

I'll admit — and I didn't tell her this — that at first, when Katie told me her theory, I thought it was a little mad. But when she reminded me that Peter Pettigrew faked his death and then spent about twelve years in hiding as my family's bloody pet rat, I thought it was a little less mad. People do crazy shit, and plus, it made more sense than the old-man Crouch we both know — knew — bouncing back and forth between two roles for no apparent reason.

"We're sorry, Professor," I say, as earnestly as possible, just wanting to move this along so that we can be far away from Moody whenever he realizes his flask is missing. "It won't happen again."

McGonagall gives me that warning look that I've gotten so used to over the years. "It better not, Mr. Weasley."

We're finally able to escape back to our seats. Thankfully, Mum wasn't able to see the chaos of the Powder from where she's sitting, because I don't really need to be chewed out by her right now. Instead, like everyone else, she's staring at the hedge maze as if we can actually see what's happening and talking with Katie's dad.

Supposedly, it was the same for the Second Task: they just stared at the Lake for an hour, pretending like they knew what was happening. I, of course, missed that lovely experience, because I was under the fucking Lake myself.

I still haven't really gotten over that.

As we head back to our seats, I see that Percy, surprising, is sitting with us, instead of his oh-so-important Ministry buddies. I guarantee he would be with them if it wasn't for Penelope being here. Because who gives a shit about his own family, right?

Not that I'm bitter.

I was also both surprised and excited to see that Charlie came, but it's not shocking at the same time. Katie adores him, and he adores her, so it only makes sense that he'd be here for her for something as big as this. I used to be jealous of him, when we were younger and Katie clearly had a huge crush on him. I remember wishing she'd look at me like that. I smile a little at the memory as I take my seat between him and Fred, Lee sitting on Fred's other side, and Roger next to him.