20

At precisely ten thirty, I stand at the bottom of the Gryffindor tower staircase. At ten thirty-two, I look up to see George come barreling down the staircase, grinning at me widely, and I can't help but smile back at his obvious enthusiasm about our plan. If there's anything that George loves to do, it's sneak around.

"Hey," he says, all too loudly, and I shush him, pulling the map out from the pocket of my hoodie. I essentially dressed for bed before sneaking out of my dorm room, in my old Quidditch hoodie from last year and leggings, my hair pulled up in a bun that sits on the top of my head.

"The coast is clear," I tell him, after a quick glance over the map, "Let's go."

"It was way too hard to get Fred and Lee off my back," George starts to tell me as we walk down the corridors. I glance down periodically at the map, just to make sure that we're not going to run into anyone. If I was alone, being a prefect, I would be able to get away with it, but considering I'm with one of Hogwarts's biggest mischief makers, the chances are slimmer. "I couldn't tell them I was meeting you, or else they definitely would have tagged along, whether I liked it or not."

"Yeah," I sigh, "I kind of feel bad for leaving them out."

"Don't," George replies, leaning over to look at the map, his arm brushing against mine, "We don't need to do everything together all the time. Just most of the time."

I let out a small laugh, and George smiles.

"You know what would make us better spies?" I say, after a moment of silence between us. We're still a good distance across the castle from Moody's classroom, but I still keep my voice at merely a whisper, despite also checking the map obsessively to make sure we're not going to be caught. After all, last time that I was careless and didn't look at the map, we were caught by Snape.

"Hm?"

"Two-way mirrors. You know about those?"

"Oh, yeah," George says, his hand brushing against mine this time, and I can't help but hope it's intentional, "Bill's told me about those. Aren't they rare?"

"I think so. Be cool, though, wouldn't it? Be able to talk whenever and wherever, as long as we both have our mirrors on us?" I say thoughtfully. Though I've hardly ever spent any time without the twins since I met them, the few times that we have spent apart for long periods of time have been awful. Like last year, they went to Egypt during the summer to visit Bill, and the days have never felt longer. They wrote me, of course, but that's so much different. It'd be great to have something like a two-way mirror. But George is right, they are rare. And expensive, probably, too.

"That would be cool. I could bug you at all hours of the day," George says, nudging me and grinning.

"And you don't already?"

"Shut up," George replies, and I laugh, leaning into him.

"I'm only joking, Georgie. You're my favorite Weasley. Just whatever you do, don't tell Charlie."

George grins down at me. "Too late for that, Clearwater. I'm going to tell everyone." He pauses. "Actually, can I get that in writing?"

I tell him to shut up this time, as we round the corner to the corridor that will take us down to Moody's classroom. I stop, holding out my arm to stop George, too, to do a thorough search of the map before proceeding. The entire corridor is empty on the map, including Moody's classroom. But then where's Moody?

"He's gone. This is perfect, K. We can sneak in and out before he even knows we were here. You up for it? Or are you going to let me do all the sneaking around on my own?" George asks, eyeing the map before turning to look at me. I look up at him, searching his face before smirking slightly at him, despite my nerves at the situation.