36

"What's wrong? You look like you're gonna hurl."

"I just don't feel good," I hear myself say, though my voice sounds a million miles away.

He knows.

He knows we went to go talk to Remus today, and because we went to go talk to Remus today, his life is now in danger. 

I just put his life in danger.

Lee is right. I might hurl.

"On second thought," I say, pushing myself back up from the table before I can even touch my food, "I'm gonna go lie down. Hopefully I'll feel better before the party tonight. I'll see you lot later."

I feel everyone's eyes on me as I walk back out of the Great Hall. I feel Moody's eyes on me. He knows I know that it was him.

I'm gonna hurl.

I make it my bathroom first, thankfully, before falling to my knees and throwing up the entirety of my lunch earlier. After flushing the toilet, I lean back against the wall, my breathing heavy.

He threatened to kill Remus to keep me quiet.

So I'll keep quiet. That's a no brainer.

But at what cost? Am I putting someone else's life in danger by not telling?

My chest tightens, and I bury my face against my knees, which are pulled up close to my chest, as I let out a quiet sob.

What do I do?

I hear footsteps, and thinking that it's one of my roommates, I quickly wipe my tears away, getting ready to stand up. But when Roger appears in the doorway, I let out a sigh of relief and lean my head back against the wall, shutting my eyes.

"Hey, you," he says, quietly, and I feel his hand on my knee. I open my eyes to see him kneeling next to me. I don't resist when he slides his arms around me, pulling me close to his chest.

"What's going on?" he asks gently, stroking my hair back.

I can't tell him. What if he's next?

"I threw up," I admit, my voice weak, my throat burning as I talk, "I'm just so stressed about so many things and I don't know how to handle it."

Which isn't a lie. I'm just not telling him the whole truth - and it's for his safety, now.

The thought that I'm not telling Roger something so that he doesn't get killed sends my stomach turning again. What have I done?

Roger pulls back, holding me at arms' length, and I furrow my eyebrows together in confusion when I see his eyes widen slightly.

"Katie," he asks, seriously, "Are you pregnant?"

And despite everything, I laugh. I laugh, and I laugh hard, until it hurts, but Roger continues to stare at me as he waits for a direct answer.

"I'm just saying, Katie," he continues, "I'm not ready to be an uncle. Not that I won't be there to help you every step of the way, but-"

"Roger," I say, once I finally get a hold of myself, "I'm a virgin. You know this."

Roger lets out a sigh of relief, as if he was going to be the one to have to face the consequences if I was pregnant.

"Thank Merlin," he breathes, "That's what I thought, but I thought maybe you snuck away to shag in the last week and I didn't know about it."

I giggle, and his lips curve up into a smile.