Epilogue

FIVE YEARS LATER

"Por favor, Abuelita." Aurora, my four-year-old girl, begged her grandmother for another alfajor.

Aurora had her father's black wavy hair that was pinned up perfectly in a ballerina bun and my bright, green eyes. Miguel had just dropped her off from ballet practice, and she was still sporting her glittery pink tutu and unitard.

After kissing me hello, she ran over when she saw her grandmother baking. As much as she loved my cooking, she loved her Colombian side too.

I was pregnant when Rafael had introduced me to his parents, and his mother, Valentina, loved me right away. So did his father, Alexander, who was sitting in the living room drinking a beer and watching soccer.

After Aurora, Rafael and I got married, and we've been living together ever since. He still kicks ass on the soccer field, and I'm still over at Spilled Tea doing my own thing.

His parents watch over Aurora when we're not home, and they love her more than life itself. It's perfect. Over the years, I've learned more Spanish so that I'm able to speak to his parents and our daughter more.

"¿Qué dijo tu mamá?" She cocked her hand on her hip and swatted her hand that was already reaching for the plate of sweet cookies.

"No."

"Entonces, no."

"Aurora, leave Abuela alone." I called out.

She whined as she dragged herself over to where I was. I dried my hand with the towel around my waist before kneeling to brush her bangs out of her face.

"I told you no sweets, not before dinner."

"I can eat both. I promise." She bargained and even stuck out her bottom lip.

Yup, indeed, her father's daughter.

"I know you can eat both, baby, but Abuela and I have been working hard to make dinner. Don't you think it'd be nice if you waited? That way, we could enjoy the sweets together."

"If papá says yes, can I have some?" She asked, ignoring everything I just said.

"Go up and ask him. He's in his study," I said, exasperated, and shooed her away.

Valentina and I finished cooking the side meals while the chickens roasted in the oven. I heard the sound of Rafael and our daughter laughing on the stairs, and once he appeared in front of me, I couldn't stop the smile that broke out.

After all these years, Rafael was still the most handsome man to me. My husband. The love of my life. The father to our daughter, who he was currently dangling on his back like some koala.

"She told me she wants sweets. I told her dinner first, then this smartass-"

"Language." I cut him off.

"-goes I could do both, and she proceeds to tell me how she wants to eat a lot and be strong so she could be a soccer player like me one day."

I rolled my eyes and looked over to see our daughter looking at me with the same wicked eyes I had. She really was our daughter, in every way, looks and personality.

"Don't tell me you fell for it."

"One cookie won't hurt her, mi amor."

"Colombians and their charm. Fine, she can have one."

"Yes!" Aurora cheered as Rafael set her onto the ground, throwing her hands in the air as she ran over to her grandmother. Rafael rounded the counter and came to where I was.

"How are you feeling?" He whispered in my ear.

"Tired. I'm really tired."

"You were throwing up all morning. It must have been from the seafood pasta you had last night." He mumbled.

"Or," I murmured as I spun around. "Or I might be pregnant," I whispered.

"Are you serious?" He whispered, his face breaking in half with his smile.

"I'm late, and I still have to take a test to make sure."

He held my face in his hands, "Another baby."

"Another baby. Maybe."

"I love you." He kissed my lips softly. "Te amo."

"Yo también te amo."

AUTHORS NOTE: THE END. OMG. THE END. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER. 😭😭😭

IT FEELS SURREAL THAT I EVEN BUILT THE COURAGE UP TO POST IT.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT READ, VOTED, COMMENTED, AND TOOK A CHANCE ON ME. I APPRECIATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. MUCH, MUCH LOVE.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I AM CURRENTLY WRITING A NEW STORY THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE WITH YOU GUYS.

Follow me on Instagram & Tiktok @readingwithlabelle