Chapter Twenty-Seven - Iris

"Iris, I don't think I should-" Freddy opened his mouth to protest.

"I'll call him myself!" I blurted out, and Elle encouraged me as I reached for my purse.

I scrambled, my vision as blurry as hell, as I finally found it. Jesus, it was more challenging than finding a needle in a haystack. I squinted my eyes at the bright screen as I went down through my contacts.

I didn't have his number, but I had his secretary's number. So I rang Miguel, his secretary, and after a few rings, he picked up.

"Ms.Karimi?" His voice came out like a question.

"Listen here, Miguel." I hiccuped, "Send me Rafael's number."

"Ms. Karimi, are you inebriated?"

I scoffed, then scoffed again, offended by his words. "No, I am not. Just send me his number."

"Yeah! Send her his number. We want to go swimming in his pool!" Elle shouted, and I shushed her loudly.

It was quiet on the other line, and I thought he hung up on me before I heard a voice, "Iris."

His voice. Rafael's voice.

"Rafael,"

"Baby, are you drunk?"

I shook my head as if he could see me. "I want to go swimming."

"Where are you?"

"Out."

He sighed. "I know you're out. Where?"

I burped. Loudly. "Freddy, what's the name of the bar street were on?"

Freddy yanked my phone out of my hand and proceeded to speak to Rafael. Elle disappeared again and came back with another six shots. We cheered each other on as we divided them and down each one. Three for her. Three for me. Or was it four for me and two for her?

I don't know. I lost count.

My throat burned, my eyes watered, and the both of us went from cackling to dancing. We danced like two idiots who had just turned twenty-one and were drinking for the first time. But, I was happy. I was really happy. I was freshly divorced and single, and Rafael was coming for me.

"Why would you let them get this fucking drunk?" Rafael snapped at Freddy as soon as he walked into the bar.

Rafael came, dressed in sweats and a hoodie, and you would think he was naked with how I was looking at him. His hair was hidden underneath a beanie, but the curls were as stubborn as he was, peeking out from the sides.

"We're celebrating. Did you hear? She's singleeeee!" Elle sang loudly, and Rafael shot her a glare that had her sitting back down in her chair.

"Who was going to take them home?"

"I was. I'm always the designated driver."

Rafael snorted. "So, what? You just never drink, so you could drive drunk girls home."

"Hey, fuck off, man." Sean cursed, standing up.

I saw him shoot the three men sitting with us daggers, his jaw clenching as he turned to face me.

"How much did you drink?" I put three fingers up as an answer. "Three cups?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe, I don't know."

He rubbed his face with his hands then let out an angry puff of air. "Next time you want to get this fucking drunk, you call me first. Do you understand?" He reprimanded.