Chapter 26: Diverging Paths

Chapter 26:  Diverging Paths

 Kaiya listened to the songbirds warbling outside the Hall of Bountiful Harvests, her hands trembling and heart racing.  This was where her unlikely adventure had begun when she first greeted Prince Hardeep. 

Here too, it would end.  Father had allowed one last meeting with Prince Hardeep, a reward for her role in subduing the North and for his saving her.

Servants opened the doors.  Chen Xin and Ma Jun snapped into a salute. 

Secretary Hong bowed and extended a hand inviting her to enter.  "The Tianzi will allow you to meet Prince Hardeep alone."

Alone.  She smoothed out her court gown.  If only she had a mirror.  She'd spent hours preening in hopes of giving Prince Hardeep a perfect last memory of her.  Taking a deep breath, she stepped over the high threshold.

Prince Hardeep pressed his palms together and bowed his head.  Dressed in a ceremonial kurta, he looked so handsome.  So perfect.  It was hard to imagine that just two weeks before, his face had been covered in soot. Though even then, his hair never seemed out of place.  He smiled at her. "Princess Kaiya, thank you for seeing me off."

He made it sound so... trivial.  A simple parting, after everything they'd been through.  She bowed her head.   "It is my honor to do so.  I am sorry I could not do anything for your homeland.  The treaty with Madura remains in place for one more year, and the remains of the Dragon Scale Lute are buried beneath Wailian Castle."  Not like Father would allow her to go to Ankira, anyway.

He shook his head.  "It doesn't matter.  You have given me something more precious.  Hope."

Tears threatened to ruin her make-up.

"Will you sing for me? As a memory of our meeting."

An audacious request under normal circumstances, but there was nothing normal about the two of them.  He had guided her to the music of magic, made her find her purpose beyond political marriage.  She cast a glance out of the Hall, where her guards and Secretary Hong stood.  Who cared what they thought?  She owed Hardeep this courtesy.  "I've put words to your lute song." 

His eyebrow lifted and his lips quirked into a smile.  She'd spent the last two weeks composing the lyrics. Toes gripping the floor, spine straight, she let her spirit guide her song about an uncertain girl who'd found purpose beyond the circumstances of her birth.  Even if he wouldn't understand the words, he would feel her intent.

"So much emotion," he intoned.

She drew inspiration from his voice, pouring her soul into words.  His eyes sparkled back at her.  No matter what anyone else thought, she felt truly beautiful in his eyes.  Finishing her song, she looked up at him through her lashes.

Prince Hardeep placed his hand over his chest.  "Thank you, Princess Kaiya.  Your voice, just like the legendary Yanyan's, could enchant the dragon Avarax.  I may return home empty-handed, but my heart is full."  He turned toward the door.

No!  He was leaving. It was too soon.

"Wait."  She loosened several Dwarf-forged platinum pins binding her voluminous hair, sending unruly locks tumbling down to her waist.  Fiddling with an errant tendril, she proffered the jewels, each worth a soldier's annual pay.  Hopefully, he wouldn't be insulted.  "Prince Hardeep, please accept these as my personal apology."

                He plucked the simplest hairpin, her favorite.  The brush of his finger across her palm sent a jolt of excitement up her spine.  He pressed the jewel to his heart. "I will keep this one as a bittersweet souvenir of you and your voice."

                Kaiya started to speak, but no words came out.

                Lips trempling upward, Hardeep unpinned from his shirt a flat red rock, shaped into the likeness of Ankira's nine-pointed lotus.  He pressed the trinket in her palm and closed her hand around it.  His large, strong hands wrapped around hers.  "Please accept this as a symbol of our meeting.  When you gaze at it, remember no matter how far away I am, I will be thinking of you."

                Warm like his smile, the lotus jewel buzzed, sending pleasant pulsations through her.

                He turned and left.  When he reached the door, he bent his head with a sidelong glance at her.  "Once you have grown in your music, I am sure you will come to me."  Without waiting for a response, he marched out of the hall.

Was it her pulse or the Lotus Jewel vibrating so rapidly? Kaiya reached back toward a column to steady herself.

*********

Thank you for reading this chapter!  Please vote on it if you enjoyed it.  I have a thick skin and want to make this story better, so please don't hesitate to comment on any place you found confusing or boring.  THANKS AGAIN!