Chapter 28: The mental prison

Dream kept pulling George with him and George just kept following his lead. Dream made sure that the emergency exit was open so that he wouldn't fuck up the plan completely.

It wasn't too difficult to get out of the bunker, but the hardest part remained, where did they go from here? Dream's knowledge of the area was slim, and George was in no condition to serve as guide. The choice landed in trying to remember the way that back to the place where they got caught. However, George physical health was nowhere near what it once was. The brunette followed him without questions. Dream saw how his companion tripped on the roots and fell to the ground but quickly got up. The ground had scratched the skin on George's hands, but he didn't even wince, it was as if nothing faced him anymore.

Dream recognized it as a sign to stop. A small glade became their resting place. Dream sat down but George didn't get the memo. He continued to stand and stare into the abyss. Blood dripped from his hands, seemingly without his notice. "George, you can sit down." No reaction. Frustration rose in Dream; it was like they'd rewired George's brain. He sighed and accepted defeat. "404, sit." To which the brunette obeyed. Not a single word was uttered between them, making Dream realize how difficult it would be. George's hands continued to bleed, so Dream made his way over there. He examined the brunette's hands. It wasn't too bad, some cuts and bruises but nothing to serious. He carefully cleaned the wounds with water and made a bandage out of a piece of his t-shirt.

The pair would've to get a bit further from the base to remain safe. So, after a quick lunch break, their journey continued.

They'd managed created a good distance between themselves and the bunker as the sun started to set. Dream hoped that his little hostage situation in the lab wouldn't ruin the plan. They were thankfully in a soundproof room that was locked with a key that Dream brought with him. Of course, an universal key existed in the bunker, but he doubted that anyone would go into the labs and look for them in just yet. It would most likely be a couple days away anyways. The people would be distracted for a while with Sapnap's story, that the two women would hopefully slip their minds.

The chosen sleeping place looked like any other spot chosen while the travelled last time. Dream understood that the assignment ahead of him would be difficult, but nothing could stop him from at least trying. Nothing mattered more than helping the brunette. Everything was better than this empty shell, even if George would hate him forever.

Dream prepared a sleeping spot for both himself and George and laid down. George kept standing up and Dream sighed. "404, sit down." And so he did. Dream had tried the entire day to make conversation, but it was like the other had lost the ability to speak. Wilbur had talked about "finding the key" to break through. Karl seemed to have succeeded with his sister, even if it took time. It was frustrating but Dream wouldn't give up.

He couldn't give up.

The stars made an appearance on the dark sky. Dream stared at them, trying to distract himself by searching for different star constellations. Space wasn't a topic that was often discussed in the bunker, same went for oceans. It had become utterly clear that all education in the bunker served as a way to scare people of the unknown, rather than encouraging curiosity.

His mom had been the only exception. Everything that had some sort of mystery connected to it had been her favorite subjects. She used to talk about space, about the stars and the planets. But as Dream got older, did his interest lessen in the conspiracies of the universe mysteries. Although, it never completely disappeared and his time away from the bunker had sparked his old curiosity again. He sighed; his memory sucked. If only George was back to normal, he could've pointed to the sky and showed the constellation. Talking about all the planets in the solar system and where to spot them. Dream let himself live in that fantasy for a moment. He would've pretended to see where George was pointing and encouraged him to continued. Just hearing the other's voice and seeing his enthusiasm when talking about stuff that Dream knew nothing about would've been worth every sacrifice.

Snapping back to reality, his George that once had fallen asleep on his chest was just an arms reach away, but it felt as though they might as well have been in different parts of the universe. Dream wanted nothing more than to hold him and run his fingers through his soft hair.

Time seemed to have drifted away. Dream knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep for more than a couple hours at time. He prompted himself up on his elbows to see if George was asleep, but the brunette was awake and sat at the same spot as before. Dream didn't think much of it until he saw that the brunette held something in his bandaged hands. A piece of glowing wood. Foxfire. Dream had totally forgotten about that carved, glowing moon. He'd made sure to always bring it with him, but it must have fallen out. The other sat and twisted it in his hands. It wasn't much but it was enough, enough to keep Dream hoping. It was such an insignificant thing to most people, yet it signified something special to the pair. Dream got up and sat down in front of George, trying to get eye contact with him. The brunette kept twisting the piece of wood but never let his eyes leave the ground. An impulse took over and Dream reached his hand to tilt George's head upwards. That's when he understood why the other had been staring at the ground, he was crying. It was completely silent, no sobs but definitely tears. George didn't look Dream in the eyes. Dream felt his own cheeks getting wet. He couldn't help himself. He was the reason for everything that had happen. The one person that had become the most important being in his life and he let him slip away.

Dream let his thumb dry away the brunette's tears. All his self-control then collapsed. He closed the distance and pulled the other close. George didn't resist but Dream doubted that George would even react if Dream were to hold him at gunpoint. He held the other close, how he'd wanted to do for weeks. George head rested on his chest and Dream put his chin on the other's head. He felt how his shirt got damp and figured that the other still cried. Dream looked up to stop his own tears from falling.

Why, why, why? Why did it have to be this way?

The white tail from a fallen star suddenly caught Dream's attention. A forgotten memory appeared, the meteor rain that the two had witnessed. How George spoke of the past where people made wishes when they saw falling stars. It didn't make sense, but Dream's wish returned to his mind.

"George, I know you're still there. Please – please come back." Dream's throat tightened and words were suddenly difficult to produce.

His voice was nothing more than a whisper. "You have to come back I –" his voice failed him once again. His attempt to keep his own tears in check failed. "– I wished for you to be with me forever, you can't be gone." He tightened his grip around the brunette, but no response came.

"Please... don't let it end like this." He closed his eyes and made two promises; One, his dad would pay. That man was the definition of pure evil. Two, he would get his George back and when he did, he would never let him go.

Dream reached down to cup the other's face and dried away the brunette's remaining tears. The glowing, green moon caught Dream attention once again. George griped it tightly. It wasn't much but it was something. Dream laid down; he'd accepted that he was selfish because he refused to let go of the other. The brunette's head rested on his chest once again. He let his hand run through the dark locks over and over. George breathing got surprisingly calmer and Dream's entire soul and body melted at the realization of the tiny detail.

"Goodnight, love." Was his last words before slowly allowing himself to fall asleep.