Chapter 13: Mt.Moon part 2

Start from the beginning

"Mn. It was certainly one of the better classes I took."

That really did sound pretty cool to me. 'Maybe I'll go to college one day. It would be cool to take what Professor Oak taught me and specialize in tracking or something too. If I survive my journey...'

As the man took out a walkie talkie, I thought about what kind of courses I could take if I did go to college later on. I knew I would need to take core classes, but a lot of the classes related to Pokémon I wasn't really aware of.
I never really thought about what I wanted to be beyond a Field Researcher, eventual Pokémon Professor and overall Pokémon Trainer/Master. Even then, those were all titles and didn't specify in what exactly I was going to research or do either. There was a range of different courses and topics I could specialize in, and I was still unsure in what I wanted it to be. Maybe physical and mental limitations in and out of training?
Something to think on more later, I guess.

Misty and I stepped back as Mr. Motoro spoke into his handheld device, both of us going a good distance away from the corpse, and closer towards the staircase route we had walked through a couple minutes before.
Misty herself held a blank and unfeeling look on her face at the gruesome scene. She sighed as I nudged her rigid form and relaxed some, digging through her bag for her water.

Would my face look like that one day too?

"This....this is one of only three things I absolutely detest about being a Gym Leader and Trainer."
I startled at her voice, my paled face peering at her again after my gaze had slid back to the body.
"Hm? What do you mean?"

Misty sharply glanced at me and took a swig of her water, putting the cap back on and wiping her mouth afterwards. She looked away from the body and the ranger, eyes avoiding the scene the best she could.

"The dead bodies. I told you I've been traveling off and on for a few years, right? I had special permission because of the Gym Leader Program I was taking." I nodded.

"Yeah. All those tests you had to take—I remember."

"Yeah, well...I found my first body when I was only a month in when I was eleven. I was traveling one of the sea routes with a sponsor and his Lapras—he was an older assistant to my dad- anyway, we came across a floater. It was a classed 'Swimmer Girl',  Leticia Adams....she had been the older sister to one of my friends at school before I switched out of those classes and joined the program for Gym Trainers. The next body I found was of a man my dad's age, who was decapitated by a wild Scyther. The next was a kid that was made a soulless husk by one of the Gastly line. The next only a few days later—a charred body of another kid who wasn't identifiable. This world—" Misty sighed again.
"The League makes everything sound like it's nothing but fun, one adventure after the other. Its not even just feral or wild Pokémon either, I've seen a couple victims from humans attacking humans too."
My face must have given away what I felt at hearing all of that, because the redhead gave me a weak grin, squeezing my shoulder in compassion.

"I just....I really wish the League would give us more of a warning, or—or have a better system in place to prevent more of  this. They encourage us to travel and capture these creatures, and while those who are able to join the right schools and programs are better prepared, those who can't afford it or live too far from a school are just thrown out there without the right preparation. And the League endorses it with their Trainer's licenses given so easily! Its almost like they pick and choose who's going to be more successful, and if you're not born in the right area with enough money then....then—"