Chapter 4: Long roads

It was raining again. Big raindrops fell down from the gray sky, covered with clouds. The wind blew against the windows of a large building which made a strange whistling like sound. The trees moved according to the wind and dropped deep green leaves on the lawn of the manor.

Young Wallace walked the long corridors of his house forward with a serious look on his face. He hadn't seen any of his servants, neither his father nor half mother. That was good, he didn't want to see them. Brown, wooden floors creaked under their feet.

Their..

This was the first day Wallace spent an entire day with his new bodyguard. The young boy wasn't quite sure how impressed he had been when finding out what his bodyguard was like. The boy was short, really small for his age, and looked almost starved. His mop-like hair covered his tired eyes that didn't seem look anywhere. Wallace wasn't sure if he should have feared or pityed the boy.

The blonde watched at his feet as the red carpet with yellow ornaments moved as they walked forward. The black-haired boy tried his best to walk in good posture, holding his funny-looking sword in his hands, which was almost the length of his body. It looked funny to Wallace.

He opened a large dark brown door and entered their library. It was large, with four rows of shelves reaching almost to the high ceiling. The boy looked quietly as Wallace took a piece of paper from his pocket and tore it to pieces. "Arg! I can't take it anymore." he growled and kicked the wall. The library was the only place for him where he could let his emotions come to the fore.

He didn’t understand what a boy was bothering, who just looked at the monotone look at what he was doing. Wallace had tried his best to give him some life, but nothing had worked. The cold water, pats on the head by book and walking outside didn't seem to work, actually it made him even more tired, as if his body had been empty.

"Hey, look at this. A classic isn't it?" the blond blue-eyed young boy laughed and handed the other boy a gray covered book. On the cover   had a picture of a tank, meaning the book seems to be war-themed. "Have you read these.?"

No, everything went in like unheard ears. Wallace sighed, maybe his bodyguard didn't even want to talk to him. "Forget it, it wasn't that important." he sighed and took the book back from the boy's weak  hands.

Wallace didn't try to talk to the boy for a moment after that. He had accepted that the he probably didn’t want to talk to him, that was okay.l

ife went on almost normally. His father had punched him a black eye and a couple of sore spots on his back, but his wounds always felt so small when he looked at the dark haired boy.

He was almost always covered in ugly dark bruises and he had begun to walk weirdly, like he didnt have any energy in him. Wallace just couldn't understand what was bothering him.

Then, one day, things had gotten a little brighter. They were sitting at the mansions yard — or, Wallace was sitting, the boy was not. His gaze was on the little birds sitting in the trees as Wallace read his new book.

"so, what's your name?" he started, looking at the short boy questioningly.

"Hey, you deaf? Answer my question." he continued and began to get deeply irritated at the boy

to non-response as he focused on watching the birds now flying away. He got up on his feet, leaving the book on the ground and grabbed the boy by the arm.

He looked very confused behind his tired eyes. He didn't understand why the blonde had grabbed him.

"Why don't you talk to me! As your master I order you to! " he started, almost shouting at the boy at the face. "Unless, unless. Has my father told you not to talk to me, is that it?!" Wallace continued, just as angry. "mmhh." to his surprise, the boy shook his head slowly, and slowly opened his mouth.