"I'm going to see where Pearl went," I raked my hands through Ren's soft hair, and she moved away from me.

"Gabe," I heard Ren call me when I stood up. I glanced down at her, seeing how she was staring at me with glossy eyes. "I love you."

The words were at the tip of my tongue. I had to let Serenity know that I loved her more than she could ever know. I just had to say it out loud. But my heart already felt like it was about to explode, and I couldn't say it when everyone else was panicking, too.

So I crouched in front of her and held onto her knees. She bent down to hold my face and crashed her lips onto mine - a quick, sweet kiss that let me know she meant those three words with all her heart.

"You're everything to me, pretty angel. I hope you know that," I told her instead, and it was enough to have her pulling my hair away from my forehead to kiss me there.

I got up and made my way to the foyer of the safe house. Words were being murmured, and I couldn't hear a single one. I recognised Pearl's voice, though, and I was relieved she didn't leave yet.

"Well, put it on," I heard one of the FBI agents speak, followed by the sound of clicking.

"Am I just going there to watch you shoot Zandra, or am I going to be put to use?" Pearl's voice was clearer as she spoke back.

"Sokolov is going to make that call. He'll tell you when we get there," The FBI agent said, and the sound of the door opening made me pick up my pace.

The agent's stoic face was intimidating as she gestured for Pearl to walk through. She did, just as I came into view. She turned her head to see me.

"Where are you going?" I asked her, knowing it must've sounded harsh.

"Go back inside, kid," The FBI agent said. I ignored her.

"I'll be back," Pearl looked shocked that I was speaking to her, and it made me feel guilty.

I held her eyes for a moment longer, not liking how the time was beginning to slip through our fingers so fast. She was good for Zion. He needed her. If I was the one going out there to face Zandra, I knew I couldn't handle it on my own anymore. I wouldn't have Ren involved. I wouldn't let her ever see Zandra's face, but Pearl knew her. Pearl used to hang out with her, she knew her tactics, her lies, her truths - if she ever told any.

"Bring Zion with you. Safe. We need you both," I said, hoping she caught onto the way I spoke the word 'both.' She mattered to Zion and all our friends. She was my friend, too.

Pearl merely stared, appearing like she wanted to say something. She couldn't. Agent Bitchface was already slamming the door shut behind them.

⭐︎

"Zion?"

I saw his broad back hunch over as he ran his fingers through his hair. He was sitting on the bench at the park as he always did. One day, I was going to buy a pledge that had his name engraved into it. He'd love it. That was his bench.

My best friend didn't hear me, so I walked closer. His hands were trembling when he returned them to his lap, his forearms resting on his thighs as he glanced at the cement below him. He was upset about something, probably angry. He was always angry now. He didn't use to be like this.

"Z?"

He heard me this time. His back straightened, and Zion spun his head around to see me walk toward him from behind. I smiled at him, trying to ease the tension in his serious face.