03 | Sixth Sense

*trigger warning: mentions of rape*

"Then my life took a tumble into the unknown,"

- e.k.

G A B R I E L

G A B R I E L

A week had passed, and the conversation I shouldn't have heard kept replaying in my mind.

"She hopes I get what I deserve," Serenity's voice was compelling, but the words she said confused me.

I didn't want to listen, but then Dawn said, "For being a complete angel? You deserve all the goodness and love of this world," and it was like the dread of staring into her angel eyes was replaced with a sense of kindness.

It was refreshing when we talked, even for a short moment. She didn't ask what was wrong, or why I abruptly got up to leave. Did she even notice? My family didn't. I decided it was best that they only saw my good side. Middle-Eastern gossip would send me further into a spiral I wouldn't get out of, and I didn't need to worry about everyone else knowing, too.

Serenity. That's what I felt when I was talking to her. It's in her name. I was calm. Well, I was holding up just fine until she told me she hoped I was okay, and I let myself crack. Did that mean she noticed? I didn't want her to.

"You deserve all the goodness and love of this world."

I wondered who made her feel otherwise. If I had heard the conversation earlier, I would've gotten a better understanding, but I was too zoned-out, trying to keep myself grounded from the thought of her. My stomach twisted with disgust at the thought of the night in the alley. Every time I even thought about the woman with a fire burning in her eyes, I'd feel the flames crawl beneath my skin.

"Gabby," Chancey called out my name from further up the football field. "Do I need to call River again to make sure your head is in the game? You play so well when he's watching you practice."

Rolling my eyes, I flung the ball toward him, forgetting I was holding it in the first place. He smirked arrogantly when he caught it easily and passed it to another player. The sunlight was strong, and it reflected off his smile. Chancey was in his element. We all were.

River being at my football practices created a sense of security around me. He was bigger than me in his build, and the intimidating stone face he maintained usually chased away unwanted attention. He was my best friend, and the reason why I felt so safe playing in such an open area without fearing Zandra would come this way and-

"Ayo!" Connelly Fobbs - or Nelly as everyone called him, the quarterback of the team - jogged onto the grass, his brown complexion gleaming in the strong sun rays. "River's here this time."

I clicked my tongue and resisted the urge to pummel him. "I'm not dependent on him. I can play without him being here, too."

That was a half-lie. I play my best when he's there, practice or real.