20 | Hypnotised

"I need your love to hold me, to drown me."

- e.k.

G A B R I E L

G A B R I E L

My heart was bursting. It was surely going to explode. I'd never had such an amazing week. I just scored two touchdowns, Ren told me she loved me, and I got the courage to kiss her - not her lips, but I still got close enough to put my forehead on hers and that alone meant so much to me. Now, I was holding River's baby in my lap as she bounced her legs and waved her tiny hands around.

Yes, I was against kidnapping, but River's child was going to be an exception. I was going to steal her without him knowing and keep her all to myself. I loved kids. They were so unknowing of the harshness of humanity and only knew what they saw. Most of the time, they didn't see anything. They just lived and laughed. Crying was a thing too, as was throwing tantrums, but Nia wasn't of that age yet. I'd have to stay away more often when she was.

That was a joke. I loved her, and I would learn to stay even when she cried and screamed because she was River's kid, and River was like my brother, making Nia my niece.

Soon to be Goddaughter.

River pulled me aside earlier today when I arrived at his house. He grabbed my wrist, gently, which meant something was suspiciously wrong and dragged me to the other living room his family rarely used. Essentially, it was there for decoration. He paced back and forth, looking stressed as fuck, and it was energy-consuming to hold back my laughter. Seeing River stress was like watching a celebrity smack a comedian. You didn't know whether laughing or crying was the correct response.

"This isn't my idea, so you can't be mad," He spat out, and I merely blinked at him.

"I can't be mad about an idea I don't know about," I said, failing to hide my smile.

"My mother wants me to baptise Nia," River breathed out, running a hand through his long brown hair. It was almost reaching his neck now. "And I only want to do it to follow tradition. Also, if I say no, she'll give me that look I always piss myself at."

I couldn't help it. My laugh exploded into the room, and I covered my mouth when River snapped his head to glare at me.

"Gabby, you tell anyone what I just said, and I will steal my gun back from you and knock you out with it," He tried to sound threatening, but it wasn't working on me.

"I'm sorry," My voice was muffled by my hand. "Please continue."

"Listen, I already chose the Godfather, but I need to make sure-" River interrupted himself and sighed deeply, running a hand over his face. "You're taking the position. If you want out, I'll choose Zion or Nico. Yes or no?"

My hand dropped from my mouth, and so did my jaw.

"Huh?"

"You grew up Christian, Gabby. I'm pretty sure you know what a baptism is, and what a Godfather is supposed to do," River stopped pacing and made sure I was looking at him. "Right?"