Still, she didn't know any better. Pearl couldn't have known that Zandra would've gone after Zion. She was choosing to save me, and how was I reacting to that? Despising every moment I glanced at her. It was wrong.

"Where are Zion and Nico?" I asked River harshly. I didn't mean for my question to sound so demanding. I was going to panic. All I ever did was panic.

"They'll be here in a few minutes," River answered when he saw me, letting his brown eyes inspect me. "We're safe here. They'll be, too."

I didn't believe him. The air felt too frigid, tight. Something wasn't right.

A few minutes later, Nico was walking through the door, guarded by two FBI agents. They checked if he had anything on him, and he glared at them before striding toward us. River was the first to ask where Zion was, and I strained my ears to listen. Their voices were harsh murmurs, and I couldn't get up from my spot on the couch. I was too scared to hear.

"Where is he?" Pearl spoke up the loudest first.

No one answered.

"Nico," Her voice hardened, catching him by surprise. "Tell me."

My eyes didn't leave a spot on the crimson red carpet as Nico replied. I didn't move as the words left his lips, I didn't even blink. Serenity squeezed my hand, and I swore that was the small movement that kept me grounded. How long would I remain this calm?

"The FBI is using him to get Zandra."

A quiet pause followed.

"What?" Pearl's voice was smaller. "But I was going to- What? With who?"

"I don't know his name. Tall, sounded Russian, dark hair, grey eyes-"

"Riot," Pearl was up and walking to the foyer before either of us could comprehend the word.

Iris' brother. What was he going to do to stop this? Could he even be trusted? I would've trusted Iris if he was here helping instead, but he was dead. Zandra killed him. She could kill Zion, too.

I lifted my head and saw Nico pacing, holding the back of his head with both hands. River stood near the corner couch, where his mother was giving Nia a bottle. He sighed deeply and sat beside them. She gave him an apologetic look, and he just leaned forward, elbows on knees, and held his face.

"I want to be there," I said to Ren.

I felt her tense beside me.

"No, you don't," She moved until her body was facing mine. I knew she was glaring at my side profile. "You're safer here. And if you see her, we don't know how you'd react. We can't risk that. This has to go right. We'll trust that the FBI knows what they're doing. Besides, Nico and River wouldn't let you step foot out of this house."

My jaw clenched as I shook my head.

"Just stay with me until this is all over," Ren murmured, leaning closer until she was resting her forehead on my shoulder. "Please. I don't want to feel like I'm going to lose you again."

I waited a few moments before I reached my arm over Ren's shoulder, making her head lay on my chest. Her hand held onto my torso, clutching onto the material of my hoodie.

"I'm scared," I told her with a whisper.

"I know," She mumbled, and I felt her voice vibrate through my skin, easing me, letting me know that I wasn't alone. "But it'll all be over soon."

Pearl wasn't back yet, and worry crept into my heart. She wasn't going to them, right? That would be stupid. The FBI had a plan with Zion already. Why did they need her, too? She knew Zandra, probably more than any of us did, but wasn't risking Zion's life enough? They didn't need to risk hers either.