19 | Light My Love

Start from the beginning

"I- yeah?" I subconsciously reached for the pearl necklace around my neck. It was accompanied by a gold necklace Arlo once gifted me. I wore them everywhere without a second thought.

"Mhm, and I see that you're mostly ever wearing necklaces and bracelets, but never any rings, so I thought-" He cleared his throat, keeping his eyes on the box between us as he opened it to me. "I thought maybe you'd like to wear this ring - only if you like it."

Gabriel's hand slightly shook as he revealed the gold ring in the case. At least I knew it was out of nerves he was shaking like that, but I still didn't like it. I reached out to him, holding my hand over his before glancing up at him. He looked so unsure as he stared at me with his bright hazel eyes, all I wanted to do was kiss him.

"Anything you give to me, I like. I love it, so thank you, Gabe. It means a lot to me that you put so much thought into this, and even if I didn't like it - which is impossible - I'd still love the effort you put into this. And the whole day, I mean. From the concert to the chocolate to this; thank you," I told him firmly, making sure I got the point across because the way he was looking at me made my heart ache.

It was relieving to see his face soften at my words and to feel his hands beneath mine become more steady.

"That's reassuring," He breathed out, a small smile breaking out on the lips I wanted to kiss so much.

"I'm glad," I smiled back and let him take the ring out from the box.

He reached for my hand and glanced up at me. "Indigo only gave me one size, and I have no idea which finger it would fit on."

"What size?" I asked, and he gave me a number.

My heart jolted when I realised Indigo gave him the size of my ring finger. I laughed, shaking my head at her antics. She was going to get all her favourite snacks the next time I saw her.

"Here," I shook my finger at him and watched his cheekbones turn red.

"Here?" Gabe took a hold of it, trying not to grin so widely.

"Mhm," It was my turn to blush when he lifted my hand to his mouth and kissed where the ring would fit.

"Wanna know why I brought you here with me?" He asked, withdrawing my hand away from his lips as he gently slid the gold ring on my finger.

It was beautiful. The band was engraved with miniature sunflowers, a simple yet pretty accessory for my right hand. Silly looking at it reminded me of the man standing in front of me, and the very thought of him made my heart swell with love.

I was so in love with him, and it was finally time I realised it.

"Hm?" I questioned, still caught in a daze.

"I'm seeing a therapist now," He murmured, making sure our eyes stayed locked. "She told me to get out of my comfort zone, and being here is it. But I also told her about you. I told her you're one of the reasons I wanted to get better in my head, and she said if you make me feel the way I told her you do, I'd have to keep you right next to me. That's what I'm going to do, Ren. Even if our relationship is the slowest one of your life, I hope you still want it, because I'm not going anywhere anymore. No more pushing you away."

I wanted to sob. My eyes prickled with tears, and I had to let the wind around me dry them up as I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He was doing so well. Gabe was so strong, and I was so lucky to have him in my life.

"I'm so proud of you, Gabriel," I couldn't even say his entire full name before he was crushing me to his chest.

His arms wrapped around me as his hand held my head to him tightly. I felt his head lean down to press a hard kiss to my head while I returned the hug, wrapping my arms around his torso. This was the closest to him I'd ever been, and I had to close my eyes to cherish it because I knew it would be a long time until these would become more frequent.