Chapter Nine

Dom had made it through the night. He was somewhat sad that nothing happened last night. Dom expected something, anything, to happen. He just had to wait for the Princess to return, and his mission would be over. The Princess's butler had brought Dom some food, which he didn't know was part of the job.

Dom noticed Sweetie walking down the stairs. "Morning, Sweetie," he called out.

"Good morning, Dom," Sweetie replied. "How was the night?"

"Boring, but I survived," he joked. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good," she replied.

"Good," Dom said. He looked up at the clock, which read 7:15 AM. "Do you know when the Princess is supposed to return from her trip?"

Suddenly, the doors opened, sending a breeze through the castle. The Princess walked in with the Earl to her left. The butler bowed to the Princess and walked towards the limousine with a cart dolly, like the ones they use at hotels. He pulled some things out of the trunk.

"Right now," Sweetie said. She and Dom walked over to the Princess.

"Good morning, Sweetie and Dom," The Princess said. "How did the night go?"

"Slow," Dom confessed. "Uneventful."

"Wonderful," the Princess said. "Well, excuse me while I clean up." The Princess walked past, and the Earl headed in another direction, leaving Sweetie and Dom alone again.

"So, what now?" Sweetie asked.

"Well, I still have to wait for Ryder to come and pick me up," Dom said. "And now that the Princess has returned, my mission is done. So, I have nothing to do except to chill."

"Huh," Sweetie said. "Well, want to see something?"

"Um, sure," Dom said.

Sweetie led Dom down a hallway. She opened a door, and they walked up a spiral staircase. At the top was a hatch door that Sweetie pushed out of the way.

"What are we doing up here?" Dom asked.

"Looking at the view," Sweetie replied. She leaned over the side of the tower, and Dom followed her lead.

The view was spectacular to Dom. Streets cut through the busy city streets. On the other side of the river, hundreds of different colored houses covered the ground. From that distance, they looked like Monopoly game pieces. People walked up and down the streets. Some were doing exercises, others walking their dogs, but everyone seemed to be having a good time. 

"This is a sweet view," Dom said.

"You should see it at night," Sweetie said. "I like to walk out here sometimes at night. It helps me clear my head and get sleepy."

"Wow," Dom said. "Chase has something similar at Adventure Bay."

"Chase," Sweetie repeated with a low growl. "You know, you're the only pup from the Paw Patrol to not see me as an evil pup. Especially Chase. Anytime we meet, he always seems to be against me."

Dom laughed. "You'd be surprised."

"Oh, yeah?" Sweetie said. "Which one of them do you know thinks differently of me."

"Well, the one you say that likes you the least, for one," Dom said.

"Chase?"

"Yeah," Dom said. He felt like it was a private conversation between him and Chase, but he also knew that Sweetie needed to hear it. "Before I came, I asked Chase what I should expect and who I should be careful of."

Sweetie scoffed. "I bet I was the first one Chase said."

"Actually, he never mentioned you until I brought you up."

"Why did you bring me up in the conversation?"

"Because I've never met you, and I needed to know what to expect."

"Oh," Sweetie said. "Carry on."

"Anyway, Chase said that he doesn't see you as a problem to worry about. He reflected on when you helped them against the Duke. 'Sweetie's not an evil pup,' he said. Those were his words."

Sweetie took a minute to respond. She looked up at Dom and asked, "So, does anyone else think so, too?" She seemed anxious to know.

"That, I'm not sure," Dom confessed. After seeing Sweetie's spirit fall slightly, he added, "But don't judge them too quickly. They might surprise you."

"I will keep it in mind," she promised.

A cold breeze blew across the wind, making Sweetie shiver and get closer to Dom for warmth. "Should we go back inside?" she asked.

"Uh, sure," Dom said. He hoped that his blush wasn't as noticeable. Dom opened the hatch door, and Sweetie jumped in. He followed her, closing the door behind him.

As they walked down the hallway to the throne room, Dom looked at the picture frames on the walls. Some showed past queens and kings, and others showed their pets. Dom noticed one that seemed new over a cabinet. "When was this taken?" He asked.

"When was what taken?" Sweetie asked as she walked up next to him. She followed her gaze to the picture. In the photo, Sweetie was receiving a new tiara. She was staring at her gift with her mouth wide open. "Oh," Sweetie said. "It was when the Princess gifted me that tiara after I helped defeat the Duke," she explained. "I know, it's a horrifying image. I'm not that photogenic, as you can see."

"I don't know," Dom said, looking at Sweetie. "I don't think it's that bad."

"You don't have to lie," Sweetie said, blushing.

"I wouldn't, and I'm not," Dom insisted.

Sweetie smiled, and they continued walking to the throne room. They stayed there until they heard the Paw Patroller rolling up. Dom, Sweetie, and the Princess walked out of the castle to meet up with Ryder.

"So, how did it go?" Ryder asked.

"It went well," Dom said.

"Good," Ryder said. "Well, we better get going." Ryder signaled to Dom as he entered the Paw Patroller. "Have a good day, Princess and Sweetie."

"As to you, Ryder." The Princess looked down at the German Shepherd. "Dom, thank you so much for your help," the Princess told Dom. "I am forever grateful." At that moment, the Princess's butler walked up next to her and handed her a phone.

The Princess answered the phone. "Hello?" she asked. After a second, she moved the phone away from her ear. "Forgive me. I have to take this." The Princess walked away, leaving Sweetie and Dom alone.

"I guess this is goodbye," Sweetie said.

"For now," Dom corrected.

"You'll be coming back?"

"If that's what you want."

Sweetie thought about it. "I wouldn't mind it," she said at last.

They both smiled as they stared at each other. Something grew inside them. But neither knew what it was. Dom turned around and walked over to the Paw Patroller.

Before entering, Dom looked back at Sweetie one last time. "Goodbye, Sweetie," he called out.

"Goodbye, Dom," she replied.