Epilogue

*   *   *   *   *   *

Author's Note - Thank You

This picture was an illustration I originally commissioned from Kipaki for the cover art, made to imitate the design of the UWoC and ANB covers, and I am very happy with how it came out... but in the end, I think the feel/emotion of the piece Pheonix made fits better with the overall feel/emotion of Lost Change, and decided to keep that picture for the cover image.

Thank you very much for reading Lost Change.  I hope you enjoyed it - I had a lot of fun writing it, and in reading the comments that have been left so far.

Thank you as well to everyone who helped keep me motivated and helped catch mistakes I had made while I was writing this (and to those of you that caught the mistakes I had made after I had started uploading - oops).  This would have been a much different, much shorter story without your encouragement and assistance, and I am grateful for it.

And of course, thank you again to Crystal Scherer for creating the Upon Wings of Change universe, and giving me the opportunity to play in that sandbox.

Edit:  Pheonix also did this too, so here, have a cute picture of Nate.  :D

   *   *   *   *   *   *

I spiraled and wove through the last few motions of the Morning Song, ducking underneath Ivy as she arced over me, then settled slowly down to rest on one of the branches overlooking Susie's grave. Ivy followed after and gave me a happy nudge against my shoulder as she landed on the branch beside me.

A few Kymari had gathered to watch the Morning Song, though they all stayed behind Minna and Trenil. The two bond handlers smiled at us, but they were distracted by something they were talking about. Minna would still favor her leg after long patrols even after the months of recovery, but for short trips like this she could stand easily without any trouble, and she seemed to be doing okay as she stood and talked with Trenil. It still made me happy to see that she could move about again without any discomfort.

I returned Ivy's nudge and smiled at her. "What do you think they're talking about?"

Ivy hesitated and suddenly looked away. Her verdant ear tufts dropped against her head and trembled a little.

I blinked. That wasn't a reaction I had expected. "Ivy?"

The green dragonet looked back at me, swallowed visibly, then diverted her gaze again. "Trenil's bringing up the possibility of moving up here, and having me help you inspect the passenger ships."

"Oh." I frowned and tried to think why that had Ivy so visibly concerned. "Are you worried about searching passenger ships?"

She extended her wing in a casual motion that gestured at nothing. "Oh, a little, but not too much. I've gotten a lot better about being around other Kymari. I still don't like it, and I don't think I'll ever be as comfortable with it as you are, but I can manage." Her words became a little faster, and I noticed the by-now familiar tendency she had to go on tangents. It was a habit she had that I actually found rather cute. But it always seemed to get worse when she was nervous about something, the way she obviously was now, and I hated knowing that she was uncomfortable or worried about something.

Her gaze continued to avoid mine as she kept talking in circles. "And there are enough of us now to handle all the cargo ships that come through well enough. We really had all we needed a bit back, and now that Keegan is handling a full schedule there's not as much need for me there. Though that might change, since now that we are able to handle the traffic we have, more ships might get approval to come here more often, so they can be inspected too. But they'll account for me leaving if they do that, and there are a lot of passenger ships that would like the chance to be inspected, too. And the Elders have made a few comments about being a little uncomfortable with having all of the dragonets down in that one city. It's just too easy for something to happen; a fire, or a hurricane, or who knows what, and it could get all of us. They like that you and Minna are in a separate city, so that there's at least some protection against that. But they would feel a lot better to have a couple here instead. I-if that's something you would like?"

"Of cour..." I started to answer that of course I would be happy to have Ivy closer, and to have her living in the same city as me. I had already thought of how much easier it would be to visit her if she was near, and to be able to play with her as a friend on our off days.

But my thoughts derailed as what Ivy had actually just asked truly sunk in. "...oh."

A couple.

I blinked and looked at her. She had shrunk lower against the branch and was fidgeting with one of the straps on her harness. She was too nervous about what I would say to actually look at me. I felt a sudden sadness at knowing she was upset.

The same sadness I always felt when I knew Minna was upset.

Ivy was important to me. She was my friend. And... she had already become more than that, too.

I moved closer to her and slowly stretched my wing over her, then used it to gently tug her towards me. I tilted my head and nudged it against hers, and I felt her ear tufts tickle against me as they began to lift in happy relief. "I would like that very, very much."

Ivy relaxed against me, and I felt a sudden warmth inside at the sight of the gentle smile spreading over her face. She started to hum softly and gave me a gentle nudge with her head.

I returned the hum as I held my wing over her in a hug, and we looked back to the sky to watch the last lingering moments of the sunrise together.