Chapter 50

"What happened here?"

Somebody was talking somewhere at the edge of my awareness. I wished they would stop. I was having the best rest; I couldn't remember the last time I had slept this well...

Susie inhaled under me and I rose slowly into the air... then she exhaled, and I sunk lower. The rhythm felt a little off - maybe the dog was having a bad dream? - but it was still so relaxing. So familiar. I had missed it for... for some reason. But now it was back. It was so nice to finally have it once again.

"He was pitching a fit. I'll clean all the splinters up later. Um. Would you be okay with a chair from the dining room? I don't want to move. I've never seen him look this relaxed."

The voices kept tickling at me, distracting me from my rest. I didn't want to get up... there was something bothering me, and if I woke up I'd just have to face it again... but if they weren't going to stop...

I felt Susie start to lick over my back. Her tongue felt different. Larger. Dry. But it didn't matter. It was still warm and soft, relaxing and comforting. That part was the same.

I clutched tighter to the soft tufts of Susie's fur that I had gathered in my hands and drifted back into a deeper sleep.

I gradually woke up sometime later. I felt... rested. More rested than I had felt in months. More rested than I had ever managed to be since...

Since Susie had died.

The surface under me lifted slowly.

I opened my eyes.

I was laying on Minna's stomach. One of her hands was in a half-cupped position near me. It must have settled there when she fell asleep.

The surface underneath me lowered slowly as she exhaled in her sleep.

My hands were clutching at her shirt, and I slowly relaxed them. What time was it? Had I missed the sunrise? And was somebody else here? I thought I remembered somebody speaking at some point...

Why had Minna stayed out here on the couch, instead of going to sleep in her room? The bed would have been more comfortable for her. Hopefully her back wouldn't hurt when she woke up.

I shook my head. I wasn't ready to start thinking about if I cared about her wellbeing or not, or if I should care.

I carefully moved to the back of the couch and climbed up the back of it. She didn't stir. Either I had moved carefully enough, or she was just too tired.

Splinters and chunks of wood still covered the carpet. I aimed for a spot that looked fairly clear and jumped down from the back of the couch. It was farther than I normally would have tried jumping, and a jolt of discomfort ran through my wings at the landing, but I hadn't wanted to hop back onto the cushion and risk waking Minna up.

I couldn't be sure if that was because I wanted to avoid her, or because I wanted her to get the rest she needed.

The trip to the window took longer than usual due to having to avoid pieces of the log I had demolished, but I finally hopped up on the small ledge. The sky was still dark outside... but it was raining. The storm was still going. Heavy clouds stretched as far as I could see.

It must be a spin off storm from a hurricane. It's the right time of year for them. Hopefully it doesn't last too much longer...

"You missed it. It's almost noon."