Chapter 43

Twenty sunrises to get through.

I settled down after the Morning Song and glared back at the Kymari. I was annoyed with her - ever since yesterday, she had been trying to pet me. I had woken up from relaxing dreams in the bowl of sand to find her standing over me and stroking my back, and she would always seem to know just when I had woken up enough that I realized what was happening... and she would pull her hand away in that tiny half-second before I could swipe at her. Meal times had turned into races between us, with her trying to get as many pets in as she could before I managed to stuff enough of the fruit into my mouth to free my hands up for swipes at her.

The worst part was that being pet actually felt nice. If it had been anybody but her, I probably would have let them do it. I might even have enjoyed it.

She hadn't tried ambushing me in the dazed moments following the Morning Song, but I wouldn't be surprised if that would be coming one day.

It didn't seem to be today, though. I watched as she tapped off the recording device and took up her tablet. After a moment she frowned, then tapped at the buttons a little more intently.

"Seriously? Seriously?" She dropped the tablet on the table and sighed. "The whole day. What am I supposed to do now? Ugh." The Kymari stood up from the couch and walked towards the bedroom. "She hates me. That's the only explanation. She hates me."

I tilted my head. Well that had been odd.

I hopped over to the end table and sprawled back in the warm sand. A few minutes passed before the Kymari came back into the living room. I lifted my ear tufts in aggravation, certain she was going to try and come over to pet me again... but she just sat back down on the couch.

I noticed she had changed clothes, but she wasn't wearing what she normally wore for her job. This looked more like her weekend outfits.

She picked another device off the table and tapped it a few times. It made a beeping sound, then another beep... then I heard another voice. "Center Veterinarian Clinic, how may I direct your call?"

"Yes, I have an appointment for a cast removal; I was wondering if there were any possible openings for today? I've had an unexpected opening in my schedule."

"One moment. Patient name?"

My Kymari flinched on the couch before sighing. "...Kymallata."

"Kymallata...? Oh, the fire lizard. It looks like... yes, the notes do say he should be ready. We do have an opening in three hours; we can do a scan to confirm his ribs have healed and then remove the cast if so. Should only take about an hour, if that would work?"

"That would be perfect."

"Then I've got you scheduled. We'll see you then."

"Thanks!" The Kymari tapped something on the device. It gave another beep, then made a click sound. "Well. At least something good can come out of today." She yawned, then leaned back on the couch and closed her eyes.

I relaxed a little more underneath the heat lamp. If she was going to take a nap, it would probably be safe to take one myself...

Susie's tongue was soft and warm as she licked over my back. I giggled, feeling her lap over the ticklish spot right along the base of my left wing.

I wiggled a bit into the sand underneath me as the dog licked my back. Wait... sand? There wasn't any sand in the forest...

I blinked open my eyes and tried to focus them. Where was I? The forest... oh.