Chapter 70

I spent a while trying to get to sleep, but I just couldn't manage it. The rhythm of Minna's breathing was very relaxing, especially after all the months of fitful sleep, and I was drowsy, but...

I had slept too well the night before. Even with the exercise I had gotten in the afternoon, I just wasn't sleepy.

And despite my best efforts to not to worry, I kept thinking about what might happen if I had messed up the image to Minna. If I had somehow given away to her that I was smart. Just lying there and staring out into the darkness wasn't doing much for my mood, even with the calming rhythm of Minna's breathing.

There wouldn't be anything to actually do in the small room, but I carefully slipped off the blanket anyway. I thought about peeking through Minna's luggage - maybe she had a few treats inside it that she hadn't secured well enough - but to my surprise I noticed that the door to the room had been left open a crack.

Maybe my scratching at it the other day had caused Minna to leave it open? Or maybe she had just forgotten to close it all the way? The Kymari were usually very deliberate and careful about anything they did, but... Minna was still young for a Kymari. I knew better than anybody that she could miss things.

Either way, the door was open. I slipped through it and silently flew through the hallways.

The rooms were all silent. Eerily silent. I still didn't have access to any other parts of the house, so I headed to the living room. It had those nice windows, and if nothing else I could just watch the stars for a little until I felt sleepy.

The curtains had been closed over the blinds, but that wasn't a problem. I slipped underneath them and perched on the windowsill to look outside.

It was dark outside... but the sky was bright with stars. And there were still fireflies dancing in the yard. I settled down and watched the twinkling lights beyond me.

I heard footsteps in the room behind me, followed by somebody settling down on the couch. I peeked my head through the curtain and found Terron on the couch. He seemed tired.

It reminded me a bit of Minna. Though... she hadn't seemed nearly as tired in the mornings lately. I wondered if that meant she was getting better sleep.

Terron yawned, then leaned forward to grab the remote device from the coffee table. He fumbled with it for a bit until a 'click' sounded through the room. Terron started to speak, yawned instead, and then tried again. "Dad?"

"Terron, do you mind telling me what is going on?" An older-sounding Kymari voice seemed to come from the screen at the far end of the room. I peeked towards it, but the screen was dark. Whatever was happening, it was audio only.

"Good morning dad. You know there is a seven hour time difference between us, right?"

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

"Yes. It's okay though. Loreena and Lyzel are still asleep. I think Minna is too."

"She is staying with you?"

"Just for now. She's looking for a house; it should only be a day or two."

"Why is she staying with you?'' The Kymari on the other end - Terron's dad, meaning he was Minna's dad too - sounded angry.

"Because she got kicked out of all the apartments because of complaints from the neighbors, and I was pretty sure the one she had been staying in wouldn't let her extend her stay again."

"No, why is she still there at all! She was supposed to be on her way back!"

Terron groaned. "I thought she talked to you about this."