Part Twenty-One : Play Ball

"I hate this," Kate told her husband, sitting shot gun as she was too ill to drive. Staring into the open road, she thought she might be sick. This was the school all over again, only this time, her husband was joining her. This time, they were possibly orphaning three kids. This time, it was their fault.

Rick breathed, telling her softly, "I know, but there's nothing we can do."

"I can't do this, Rick," Beckett said, but didn't mean.

He answered, "It will be alright. We're going to be fine."

"This isn't right."

He looked at her for a moment, telling her in a broken tone, "I know. But it's the right thing to do."

"Is it," Beckett argued.

He looked at her, knowing she knew he was right, but knowing better than to expect her to say a word. He simply sighed, sliding his hand over hers, lacing his fingers through hers, making sure she knew he was still there for her.

When the car stopped outside of Coney Island and the two got out of the car, Kate got instantly light headed the moment she stepped out. Her head rushed as her body screamed more heavily than it had when she was leaving the hospital. All medication had worn off. She stepped back half a step, latching onto the door handle, trying not to pass out as her hand clenched her shirt over her stomach.

When Rick saw this, he quickly changed his direction toward her, calling her name with urgency, "Kate?"

Just as he landed in front of her, she breathed, stating, "I'm fine. I just-... I'm fine."

"What can I do? How can I help?"

She finally looked up at him. "You can keep walking forward and not look at me with those eyes of yours." He looked at her strangely, the pity flying away for a moment only to be replaced with confusion. She explained, "I just don't want to see how bad I must look in they way you keep looking at me. I know this isn't fun for you either and I can see how much it hurts you to see me in pain like this."

Rick swallowed, and then scanned her again. "Well, at least let me walk you to the gate." She looked him over as her turned and offered her his arm. She smiled to herself and then shakily laced her hands around his bicep. He then slowly started forward, letting her lean on him for as much support as she needed while they were arm in arm.

Just past the gate, only twenty feet from a security guard who was searching a young mother's diaper bag as she wrestled her second youngest out of the stroller her other toddler had already left, a baby strapped to her chest as she did so, Kate and Rick were approached by a young girl Kate didn't know, but Rick recognized instantly. She smiled at him, her dark hair flowing over her shoulders, her eyes stuck on his. As she approached, she uttered in a seductive tone, "Hey Ricky. You miss me?" Her hands landed on his chest, her body pressed against his as she stated, "Cause I certainly missed you."

"Get off me, Lila," the man stated, shoving her away. "Where's your boss."

The woman's voice trailed as she scanned Kate over. "Somewhere special." Her eyes then turned back to the writer's. "This your baby momma?"

Rick snapped. "Take me to him."

The woman smiled. "Touchy subject, huh? How are the twins? As tender as I imagined?"

"Lila, so help me god. Take me to Benjamin before I rip your throat out."

"Ah, there's that fire. Come on, Ricky. Are you going to kill me?"

"No," the writer stated. "I'm going to end your fun. Now, take me to your boss."

The girl then looked him over and shrugged a casual, "Fine." With that, she turned and lead them forward.