Stargazing. [Lapis X Steven]

Request from StarStreamer2.

An AU where Lapis stayed on Earth with Steven after he freed her from her mirror.

Sorry it took so long to post this! I've been really busy this week so I haven't had time to write a lot >~< anyways, I had fun writing this and I hope you enjoy it as well ^u^

—-

It had been a whole week since Steven had released Lapis Lazuli from the mirror that had imprisoned her. It had taken the entirety of said week for Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst to accept that Lapis was staying, but at last they reluctantly faced the facts; Lapis Lazuli was here for good, because hurting Lapis meant hurting Steven.

Pearl was the most begrudged, though Garnet was indifferent, if a little suspicious, and Amethyst couldn't care less either way. Amethyst got along the best with Lapis, other than Steven of course. They would even sometimes have a conversation! This astonished Steven, and always sent him into quiet giggles of joy. Poor Steven was working so hard to get Pearl to like his new friend, but truth be told, Lapis wasn't all that cooperative either. She still held a slight grudge against the gems, as she still believed that had known of her being trapped in the mirror. Pearl insisted she had no clue but Garnet stayed silent on the subject.

So even though Steven still tried to convince everyone that Lapis was totally rad, he had sort of accepted in his own way that it would take a while for his buddies to warm up to her.

He had been excused from missions for the whole week so that he could show Lapis around the city. By Friday, she knew where mostly everything was located and had already decided that her favorite donut topping was chocolate and blue sprinkles. She had also decided that the beach was her favorite place to be. The lapping waves soothed her and made her smile, even when her heart ached for home.

And that's just where they were now, at the beach goofing off. Steven and Lapis where currently frolicking in the sand, laughing when the waves tickled the tops of their feet and then pulled away. Lapis grinned and flicked her wrist and a rounded cube of brine floated between them. Steven gasped in awe and stopped mid-splash, his jaw dropping. "Woah!" He inhaled softly and reached up to hold the cube. Lapis manipulated the cube and lowered it to settle in Steven's palms, gaining an excited little squeak from the boy. Lapis found Steven's reactions to even the simplest things absolutely adorable. He was so happy all the time, and full of love and amazement, and it made her glad she had stayed on Earth.

Deep in thought, Lapis's concentration on the trick broke and the cube defused. Steven laughed and Lapis ducked her head, smiling apologetically. "Hehe, sorry!" She giggled and Steven wiggled his fingers, shaking off water.

"That was so cool! Can you make something else?"

Lapis nodded, grinning proudly. She turned to the ocean and raised her hands. Pursing her lips and closing her eyes, Lapis started to shape the salt water into the image she held within her thoughts. Slowly the brine began to quiver and mold together into a mirror image of Steven. She heard Steven gasp and opened one eyes. Lapis turned back and directed the mirror Steven to walk in front of real Steven.

Steven, eyes wide in amazement, stretched one arm towards the water copy. His fingertips went through the copy's shoulder and the water ran down his arm and dripped off his elbow. The mirror Steven mimicked him, raising one hand and poking his shoulder. Real Steven beamed and pulled his and back to offer a high five. When the copy clapped their hands together, Steven laughed when it broke apart, soaking him in salt water.

Lapis giggled, ducking her head again. "Sorry, I'm a little rusty."

Steven shook his head, hugging her waist tightly. "No, that was so cool!" He exclaimed. He was still in a fit of laughter and his cheeks were flushed, but the sun rising behind them hid his cute little blush. Lapis pat Steven's head and chuckled when a stray curl wrapped around her finger when she did so.