Promise [Pearl x Rose]

No one ever really expected Rose Quartz to give up her corporeal form to create Steven. No one even knew that was possible at first. Everything was just so perfect before, even though it really wasn't. Pearl missed that the most, out of everything. She missed Rose more than she would ever admit, and she missed the time they spent together.
But she still had memories, and precious memories could last forever. Pearl knew that, but she still feared that one day, she would just wake up and everything would be gone. Erased for good. Nothing but silky threads of the past that slipped through her fingers when she tried to recall them, leaving her with fragmented happiness then tainted with despair.
So Pearl devoted her free time to her memories of Rose, and the days before Steven, as they were just as treasured as the days with him. She would sit in the quiet sanctuary of her room, the sound of cascading water providing steady ambience as she closed her eyes and remembered. She remembered Rose's lively pink curls that held her warmth and always carried the fragrance of flowers. She remembered her sweet, kind smile and her beautiful laughter. She remembered her embrace, her gentle words and kind eyes that shimmered as bright as if someone had taken the night sky and sewn the stars and the nebulas and all there was into her gaze.
Pearl smiled faintly, a wishful smile that caused her throat to tighten with the threat of tears. She bowed her head and took a deep, unnecessary breath, feeling her lungs inflate uselessly. Pearl scrubbed the back of her hand under her eyes, catching the tears before they could fall. She inhaled again and tried to think of Rose Quartz one more time.
She could hear her laugh, low and smooth. A scene began to play in her mind, of a time before Greg, before Steven: Rose, Garnet, Amethyst and herself returning from a mission after a long, tiring day. They wiped the sweat from their brows and sat together on the beach. The sun was hot on the tops of their heads but the waves crashing against their toes kept them cool enough. Garnet made a comment, to which Amethyst snickered and replied. Pearl, exhausted and impatient, began to chide them both--not harshly, but haughtily.
Rose chuckled, and the three went silent. Pearl was the first one to look to her. Her cheeks flushed a pale blue as she became embarrassed at her own behavior. Rose Quartz smiled and leaned over to brush her hand over each of their heads affectionately. When she drew back, everyone kept silent, staring at the ebbing tide. Pearl felt the sand under her toes diminish, then return and tickle the tops of her feet when the waves brought it back so soon.
After a while, Amethyst arose and headed for the boardwalk in search of food. Soon after, Garnet retired as well. However, Pearl remained, quietly watching the water with Rose, completely unaware that soon Rose would fall in love with Greg and relinquish her tangible frame in exchange for a little boy's existence.
At last, Rose broke the silence with amiable talk.
"You really love each other, don't you?"
Pearl was taken aback by this sudden speech, but after a moment, she nodded. "Yes. Though Amethyst is rash and childish, and Garnet is highly enigmatic, but...yes. I do love them. We're a team, at least."
Rose nodded. Before she could say anything, though, Pearl spoke again.
"But, we love you, too, y'know." She glanced at Rose, shifting her feet in the soggy sand. "You're the most important part of this whole team. We wouldn't be the Crystal Gems without you, Rose."
Rose Quartz was silent for a moment, before she sighed contently. "Thank you, Pearl. It makes me so happy to hear you say that." She turned her head upwards, to the bright summer sky. "And Pearl?"
"Yes?"
"I love you all, too."
Pearl beamed at her and, before she could stop herself, wrapped her arms tight around the other woman. She buried her face in her warm curls and felt tears well, tears of joy and fear and love all at once. She loved Rose, and she never wanted her to leave. It just...wouldn't be the same without her. Rose was safety and security on Pearl's bad days, someone she could speak to when she was confused or upset. She preserved peace, not just among their team, but also on Earth. She cared so much for everything around her, and always fought for what she knew was right. Rose was the light that guided the people around her to good.
Pearl felt light pressure on the back of her skull. Rose, comforting her and holding her close. Her tears dripped onto the bosom of Rose's elegant dress, and her gem, set in her navel, sparked summer sunlight that blinded Pearl and made her squeeze her eyes shut.
She was just so afraid; afraid that one day, Rose wouldn't be there anymore to console her and steady her, and guide them all to serenity. Pearl was always so afraid that maybe she would come home to the temple and find it empty, devoid of the friends she loved so deeply. The thought forced a soft sob from the pale gem warrior. Pearl pressed closer and cried onto Rose's shoulder, flushed and sniffling.
"There, there," Rose soothed, rubbing her back and lowering her head to look at Pearl. "There's nothing to cry about. I'll always be here." Her voice was smooth and familiar, and just the sound of it calmed Pearl.
She wiped her eyes and glanced at Rose. "Promise?" Rose dipped her head and smiled reassuringly, planting a small kiss on the gem that adorned her forehead.
"Promise."