"What, no. Absolutely not." I don't mean to sound so flustered, cheeks tinting red.

"He's staring like he wants me dead," the man muttered. He's trying to keep that confident air about him, but hear the tinge of fear in his voice. Were I actually Hale's lover, he would have a lot to worry about.

Glancing over my shoulder, I realise the stranger is right. Hale watches us, gaze never straying elsewhere. I frown back at him, wishing he would shake that murderous expression and busy himself with something, or someone else.

"He's protective, but it doesn't matter. I'm allowed to talk to an attractive man if I wish," I say, stepping in front of the man's view of Hale.

I don't need Hale ruining this.

"Can I convince you to leave here with me tonight?" he asks, reaching out to brush his fingertips against my hand. He's not my mate.

That's not a surprise. But still, he's handsome enough, and I feel like being someone I'm not for tonight.

My lips curve up, his suggestion making my stomach twist with anticipation. "And do what?"

"I think you know," he murmurs. He winds his fingers through mine, tugging me a little closer. A night not thinking about my mortality, or the Pureblood waiting for me in the cave would be exactly what I need.

"I have been in need of some fun," I muse.

His eyes flash excitedly. "Excellent. Let me go get you another drink."

I nod, letting him brush past me. I stay mingled with every in the centre of the room, some dancing, others standing in circles talking and drinking. It feels nice to be out, even if people are giving me confused sidelong glances.

Suddenly, I can feel a presence behind me, and I know immediately it isn't the stranger returning with a drink.

"Absolutely not."

I sigh, turning around. Sure enough, Hale stands with his hands seated in his pockets, gaze intense as he looks down at me. I should have known he was watching and was going to forbid me from leaving with a stranger.

I debate kicking him in the shin. "What?"

"You're not leaving here with him," he mutters, looking back distastefully at the man at the bar. I'm not sure why I ever thought I would manage to convince Hale to allow me to have this one night of fun.

"Why not?"

"It's dangerous," he growls. I watch people wander past us, not bothering to hide their eavesdropping. They are probably wondering what a Pureblood is doing with a mortal, and why we are arguing in the middle of the bar.

My eyes narrow. "You're not jealous, are you?"

"Mortals who are dying don't get to have fun." He goes to turn away, to walk back to the bar to brood, but I grab his sleeve, forcing him to turn back around.

"Don't ruin this for me," I insist. If I don't find my mate tonight, I'll have to return to the confines of the cave where there is nothing productive for me to do.

"If you want sex, release or whatever it is you're looking for I suggest looking for it in the safety of a warm, safe cave. Tonight is about finding your mate, that is it," he mutters, brows furrowing.

I gape at him. "Are you implying that I should have sex with you?"

"Or Will. Even Eyla." He shrugs. There is no amusement in his eyes...was he not joking? Does he seriously want me to seek any of them out?

"No...I don't like these options." I shake my head.

"Touch some more people, realise they are not your mate and let's get out of here," he encourages, motioning to everyone else in the bar. When I look around the room, there aren't many others who I would assume could be my mate.