I almost want to laugh. She thinks it'll be that easy? In her dreams.

"Why not a deal?" I step closer to her and she takes a step backwards.

I like this game.

"What the hell are you? A lawyer?"

She's clearly annoyed with me.

"I am everything but a law abiding citizen, il mio amore." I step closer again and again she steps back. "You let me buy you lunch and I give your phone back. That's if I have it, of course." I'm tempted to get closer but I don't.

She pauses. "What?"

"I'll take you to lunch. I'll make you fall in love with me. I'll pay for you. Then I'll take you home."

She blinks at me. "You're insane." She laughs "I met you like yesterday!"

"I can be very convincing."

Twenty-four hours and I haven't had another thought other than her. It's toxic. It's hell. It's obsession maybe. But I'll be damned if this is only one sided.

"You don't just fall in love with someone in an hour."

"You can. No one really knows how love works anyway."

"You're crazy! Give me my phone. I'll call the cops."

I let out a huff of a laugh.

Call the cops? Funny.

"Go to lunch with me."

"No—"

"If you have no interest in me at all after this, I'll leave you alone. Deal?"

She clicks her tongue. I wait impatiently.

"Fine." She grumbles out, starting to walk out of the building. "But I'm picking where we eat and you buy me dessert!"

My chest constricts with something as she walks out of the building. I watch her with a non-consensual smile on my face.

"Let's go, stalker." She calls out for me.

I think this will be fun

• • •

Unknown Number

• Who is this?

I look at the ping on my phone and can't wipe the smug look off of my face.

Unknown Number

Take a guess.

• You fucker!

I don't hide the laugh that escapes my lips. I pull on my boxers and get in bed.

Unknown Number

That was rude, Katerina.

• No it wasn't. How did you
figure out my password?

• How the hell do you know
my name!?!??

Some secrets are best kept.

• I'm going to call the cops.

Again, she spews nonsense. Only if she knew what little the cops could actually do. My papà owns this country, soon it will be mine. It's comical to see the irony of her words.

My Blue Katerina

Tell them I say hello.

• Will do. They probably already
have a warrant for your arrest.

• Tall. Stalker-y. Only wears suits.
Master of annoyance. Pretty face.

Pretty face? You know me
so well.

• I take it back. Your face is
average.

Liar.

• So beyond average. It's sad.

How flustered would you be
if I were to see you right now?

• I hate you!!!

Still, lies.

• I'm blocking your number.
Never stalk me again.

Then how would I be able to
give you back your debit card?

Three dots wavered on the screen for a good minute before her text came through. I audible laugh when it does.

My Blue Katerina

• I hate you

I wish I would have known at the time how that sentence would come to haunt me. I wish I would have given up then.

But I'm no quitter.. and that may be the reason for what fate brings.

• • •