five

Just a little note right here: this chapter is dedicated to @oluwagbolafunmi1 . Thanks for the support, love.

🌻

Sharon's palms were sweaty. The injury was getting itchy too.

She spoke again. "I'm not sure if I really don't want to meet her."

"I know right." Petra answered, sighing at the end. "Your swimming class? We're already thirty minutes behind schedule."

"Oh. Right." Sharon murmured and they both hurried down to their destination.

🌻

The office was, in one word, neat.

That was the first thing that crossed Emma's mind after stepping into the Head of Administration's office.

Seeing the woman behind the desk was another realisation entirely. Complete grey hair and short sleeves suit. A body frame too petite for Emma's expectations. Her name was Mrs. Angela Briggs but was popularly called Mrs. Briggs.

She had envisioned her to be one woman who would be so fat. Never did she think the head of administrations at Ivory Towers Academy would be such agile looking, fair, gracious old lady.

Another thing that she noticed was how she felt. It felt like she was surrounded by books.

The shelves on the four walls, even behind the owner of the space. They covered everywhere but they were not overwhelming.

"Welcome." A voice said.

And Emma had to turn her attention from the line of cups on the top of the shelf on her left, to the source of the voice.

Grace answered, "Thanks ma'am."

"May we?" Grace asked pointing at the chairs in front of the desk.

"Please do."

Emma looked at her again. Her mouth was not agape but she wondered how someone could have a voice so beautiful, even though she was only talking.

It tingled her ears. But it demanded her attention at the same time. It was calm and strong.

She decided immediately that she liked this woman.

She looked around again. And her eyes stopped on the awards and cups.

Winner of the International Swimmers Award, 2019/20
First place, The International Swimmers Competition, 2020/21
First place, Most Artistic Nigerian Student Award Night, 2021.
Nigerian Private Universities Award, 2020/21
Second place, Young Athlete of the year Award, 2020.
Winner, Young Athlete of the Year Award, 2021.
The Academic Union of Africa Award, 2018/19.
International Mathematical Union Award.

She smiled subconsciously. She hoped to win the school some awards someday, and maybe some medals and awards for herself too.

"Are you daydreaming, my dear?" The sweet voice came again, slowly but with some force of gravity.

Her head snapped forward, but she didn't stop smiling.

"I was just admiring the school's wins. I'll be proud to identify with this institution." Emma said.

"Oh... Thank you. Your records have been exceptionally brilliant as well. And that's one of the reasons we have you here. We're also proud to have you study with us."

"Thank you ma'am. I'm flattered."

"Mrs. Adebayo, I appreciate you bringing your sister here. We have different programs she might be interested in. I believe she has made a choice now? Although, there's allowance to choose courses from different departments in her faculty in her first year."

"Really?"

"Yes. She can do that. That's one of the freedom we give to the students so they can make their final choices in their second year."

"That would be really great, Mrs Briggs."

"Miss Alexander?"

"Yes ma'am?"

"Your room is already assigned to you." Briggs stood up as she spoke and walked into an inner office. Emma's eyes followed her as she went, only just realising the door that had been there all the while.

Mrs Briggs came back with a sets of keys and handed one of them over to Emma as she sat back down.

"Those are your keys. To your room, your locker, and the kitchen."

"Everyone has a kitchen key?"

"Yes, my dear."

"Wow." Emma breathed in absolute surprise.

"Mind you, we have cameras everywhere. So, watch what you do."

Grace Adebayo spoke up. "I don't think my baby sister her has got any troubles up her sleeve. She'll do just fine." She eyed Emma stylishly.

"We'll get going now. Thank you so much for the warm welcome."

"Always." Mrs. Briggs commented with an easy smile.

Emma believed she smiled for a living and if she spent an hour not smiling, her face would probably crack from the frown.

*

Okay! This particular chapter took long because I've been engaged in real life duties. Gosh. Adulthood is stressful and I'm sorry my updates might be coming in slow but I'll tryyyyyy to keep up!

Stay gold,
Love you.❤️