Chapter Twenty-Six

I feel as though I'm floating through space. I can see my old memories as if they're floating past me on clouds. I see the visions Wanda put in my mind as well, floating by with the memories. The illusion of myself in the mirror keeps coming back to me. The whisper resounds in my head.

I see the silhouette from Wanda's memory and the glowing red eyes seem to look into my soul. I hear the familiar whisper, it's like the silhouette is trying to tell me something. But what does it mean? What answer do I have?

The image quickly fades into the rest of those passing by. I see old memories from my childhood, from me being smuggled into America, teaching my students, saying goodbye to Bucky, all of it.

The memories seem to move quicker, and some of them begin to disappear. The clouds keep moving quickly in my mind until there are only a few that keep replaying. I see myself talking about the algorithm I want to make to free Bucky, followed by the silhouette. I hear myself talk about how I think I can place the algorithm in his mind, but when I mention the surgical laser, an image of Wanda's red magic pops into my mind.

As if I had been resuscitated, I wake with a start. I sit up straight and take a gasping breath. It all makes sense. The lights are bright in the room, and I see I'm surrounded by Fury, Nat, and Bucky. They all share an equal look of concern.

"Adalyn are you okay? What happened?" Bucky asks and pushes some of my hair out of my face. I smile softly at him and put a hand on his cheek,

"I have the answer." I say, my throat feeling dry. I feel as if I could cry tears of joy, I really am so close this time. Closer than I've ever been.

"What answer?" He asks, still confused about what is happening.

"The answer to getting the programming out of you. She showed me the way." I say and look to the others in the room.

"What do you mean she showed you? What happened in there?" Nat asks.

"Well, she showed me three things. One of them was a manipulation of one of my own memories, one was her own memory, and the other I'm not quite sure what it was." I say, voice trailing off at the end. I really don't know how to categorize the illusion of my own reflection speaking to me.

"Did she hurt you?" Fury asks, I shake my head.

"Not at all. Her powers are insanely advanced. It does have a connection to the gem back at Tony's building. She was able to get inside my mind and look at every memory I've ever made. It's incredible." I say, remembering that she told me she knew about Bucky.

"I don't know how you manage to do it, Averina." Fury shakes his head with a smile and walks out of the room. I look between Nat and Bucky who still have questions.

"What was it like?" Nat asks. I lick my lips quickly, and try to figure out how to describe it.

"Well, it was weird. It's like reality. It all felt very real." I say and touch my neck, still being able to feel Bucky's metal hand around my throat. Nat nods and doesn't push the issue any more.

"I should probably follow Fury out and see what he wants done. I think you should just take it easy for the rest of the day." She says and walks out of the room, leaving Bucky and I alone.

The infirmary is cold, and everything is blindingly white. The cool metal table I'm on is uncomfortable and starting to make my body hurt. I slide off the table, thankful that my balance is back to normal. I feel completely back to normal physically. Mentally, it's like my eyes have finally been opened.

"Let's get back to the room, I have some things I want to talk with you about." I say and he nods. We walk back to the room and I sit on the bed. I'm not sure what to bring up first. Bucky sits next to me on the bed and quietly waits for me to say something. I place a hand on his leg and look into his eyes,