Chapter Twenty-One

I open my eyes and find myself alone in the bed. I rub my eyes and sit up, remembering I fell asleep in Bucky's arms. I look around the room, noticing I'm not in mine because there aren't clothes strewn about. I blink the fogginess away and see Bucky over on the couch looking out the window. He hears me moving around and looks back, smiling. 

"Good morning." His raspy morning voice softly fills the room. I stretch my arms and smile back,

"Good morning Bucky. You know you could've made me get up and go to my own room right? I didn't mean to make you sleep on the couch." I say and get out of his bed. I go join him on the couch as he shrugs,

"I could've but you were tired. You've been spending twelve or more hours in the lab a day I knew you needed the sleep. Plus, the couch isn't bad." He says and pats the armrest. A part of me is disappointed he left to sleep on the couch, but I know I set a boundary and he's respecting it.

"Each hour spent there is an hour closer that I am to finding the answer." I say knowing I should be going to the lab soon to start the day. I don't even know what time it is but I feel like Bruce and Tony are already there, they're extremely early risers. However, spending some more time with Bucky would be nice.

"Do you really think it's possible?" He asks meeting my eyes. 

"I do. I'm going to find a way to make it work." I say, knowing that I'm definitely on the right track. 

"Thank you." He looks away from me and to the ground. I put a hand on his shoulder to comfort him, and we sit in silence. After a short moment, Bucky sits up straight and I bring my hand back to my lap.

"Excited for the party tomorrow?" He asks with a smile on his face once more.

"Yeah I totally can't wait. I sure do love parties." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Steve and I are going to help set up for it I think." He says. 

"Well if you figure out how many people there are going to be, let me know." I sigh, feeling anxious about the possibility of a lot of people showing up.

"Will do." He says and stands from the couch. I take it as a sign I should also get up and start the day. We walk out of the room together and I go to my own as he goes to the elevator to start his party planning business. 

I get a quick shower and feel myself waken even more, feeling less groggy and more attentive. I rush through the rest of my morning routine. I don't like that Bruce and Tony may have been alone in the lab for hours without me, who knows what they could've done. I take the elevator down to the lab and I'm frozen in my tracks as I make my way through the lab. 

I watch in both awe and terror as I see one of our hosts on the lab table. The small humanoid creation is walking around and answering their questions. I slowly approach the table and watch what's happening. 

"Remarkable isn't it?" Bruce asks me as I stand beside him. 

"When did you do this?" I ask, staring at the small host that's looking around at the environment.

"About an hour ago." I can't even feel mad because I'm baffled that they were able to do this so quickly. 

"How?" I ask, tearing my eyes away from the creation and looking to Bruce, 

"We copied the framework from the stone and uploaded a copy of Jarvis into the matrix. From there we installed it on a microchip and wired it into the host." I look back to the table and see Tony staring at the creation like a proud father. 

Curiosity gets the better of me and I walk up to the table and the host walks up to me. 

"Good morning, Adalyn. I hope you had a restful night in James Barnes' room." I choke on my spit as the small host speaks in Jarvis' voice. I step back from the table, seeing both Tony and Bruce staring at me.