Chapter 3

Chapter Three: Cry-zoned

Kairess' POV

---

The atmosphere is as tensed as I am.

"So what about it?" I'm not gonna play dumb in front of her and put on a mask of innocence. The more I'll be honest, the sooner it'll be over.

When her deathly gaze lands on my eyes, cold sweats race down my cheeks. Beneath the brave facade, my spines are actually crashing down with just a single look from her.

Someone please gouge her eyes already.

"Do you know who the guy is?" She finally starts off. I nod.

"Isn't he your boyfriend?" I ask reassuringly.

"He isn't. He's never my boyfriend in the first place," she replies insouciantly. My mind buffers for a moment.

She's like Shakespeare's style of writing -- I can barely understand a thing. Although only a few have seen them, many still claim that they're dating. Kaelyn even knew it too!

I stare onto her unfathomable eyes, seeking for clues, for answers. But all I can see are thoughts I can't decode.

"Then everything is just a fling?" I ask, confused.

"Nope, it is a lesson."

Okay, fudge this cheese!

I want to keep a straight face as possible, but with all her little talks my thoughts are now piled higgledy-piggledy, and I can't help but to frown and scrunch my nose.

A smug smile draws across her face as she savors the moment of mentally torturing me with uncertainty.

"Actually I was teaching him a lesson," she makes her statement clearer.

And what kind of lesson are you teaching, hmm?

This pretty girl is something else. My first impression of her is that she's modest and goddess-like, but I guess those are kinda inaccurate now. I can sense a different side of her beneath an innocent yet deceitful look.

She laughs when she notices how I look at her suspiciously.

"Don't think ill of me. That guy has done three grievous things to my classmate and we'll never forgive him for that," she adds. I see how her temper suddenly flares up. Her brows meeting at the middle makes her look like she's about to devour me later.

"Okay, but do you think that kind of revenge will teach him something?" I know it seems like I'm kindling a bigger flame, but I just feel the urge to ask.

"I wasn't actually planning to do it with him, but you suddenly barged in the scene the whole set up was broken," she protests sardonically as she jumps down from the table.

"If you haven't come then I'll be able to pull off the plan successfully," she continues inveighing as she walks around with her arms crossed, "and now it looks like I have a nasty reputation."

"Hey I haven't told anyone," I response defensively yet in a calm way. She whacks the table violently, causing my muscles to be even more tensed.

"You haven't told anyone yet," she pulls herself closer to me, stressing her opinion to my face.

"Look, I'm not gonna disclose anything." I rise my hand and pledge my honesty. The same acrimonious expression remains on her face. Not even a glimpse of joy or gratefulness sparkle in her eyes.

"I even thought you guys have been caught last night, but it turns out they thought I've seen a ghost."

"They do?"

"Yes, my bestfriend told me so."

She sits on the chair in front of me and closes her eyes. With her arms crossed, she seems to analyze all our question and answer portion silently in her head. A sigh of exhaustion escapes her lips.

Just then, rays of light from the window shines upon her beautiful face. This makes me stare at her for a while and appreciate how God's hand has built her face elegantly. She has short lashes and this ever fierce-looking eyes. Her long swarthy hair fits her like a doll.

My eyes unconsciously wander around her features. Everything about her appearance can make me envious, not until I notice something... pretty odd.

"Then why will you keep this as a secret?" I snap out of my reverie when she starts asking like an investigator again, extracting out every single information she can.

"Well, it won't do any good to you and to me if I spit it out, right? I'll keep it underneath my tongue."

"How hypocritical of you," she blurts. That one word kills my vibe.

"W-what?"

"C'mon stop being Janus-faced. I've seen so many people like you. You're actually saying the things you will not do and stab me at my back."

Words fall out of her pestiferous tongue like a fireball. A flame of hatred that has me burning painfully. First, I didn't get her point, but soon I realized that I'm being judged based on how others act.

"I don't personally know you and every inch of your honesty is questionable. Don't put up the good girl image, you're just a bitch in disguise."

With all those fiery words that have forced my mouth shut and pushed me way off my limit, tears start streaming down my eyes continuously.

In a split second, I find myself sobbing in front of her. I desperately bury my face in my hands and curl down to my stomach.

"H-hey! W-why are you crying!?" She fidgets as she asks nervously.

In my entire life I've never encountered anyone who has said disheartening stuffs that are more than enough to decimate my sensitive heart.

My cheeks feels so warm with all these uncontrollable tears now. I can hear the noise of the chair as she fidgets. Then later on cold hands grasp both of my shoulders.

"Stop crying please," she pleads as she kneels in front of me. The storm in the sea has surprisingly calmed down when I cry a river of tears.

She gently pulls my hands away from my face and cups my cheeks. My swollen eyes together with my reddish nose are enough to make me feel embarrassed that she's seeing my crying face.

"I'm sorry, I vented all my anger to you. I shouldn't have said those hurtful stuffs," she whispers apologetically while wiping my tears with her black hanky.

"I know the feeling of being betrayed, so I understand if you won't easily trust anyone."

She stares at me with those sympathetic eyes. Going under the same pain as someone, makes you understand them even without having them explain every bit of their sorrow.

"What's your name?" She asks.

"Kairess."

She smiles, "I'm Harumi."

Harumi grabs the manga sensei wants me to have and then handles to me. I look at the manga's cover and it easily lifts up my vibe.

"Okay Kairess, from now on..." I motion towards Harumi when she starts speaking solicitously, "I'll be watching over you," then she ends it with a smirk.

__________

Love. Comment. Vote

- xoxo, MSD.