Seventeen

2020, January

My fingers are busy drumming on the counter and teeth are nibbling on my lower lip, peeling its skin. Meanwhile, my mind is busy with a thousand thoughts yet blank at the same time.

"If you keep biting your lip like that, it's gonna end up bleeding."

I snap out of my thoughts and look at San, who's giving me a small smile.

"I just..." I let out a sigh, "I'm so nervous."

"There's nothing to be nervous about. You're just meeting an old friend."

"Right, an old friend..." I look down. Just from her appearance, I can tell that she's changed... a lot. Who knows if she even considers me a friend?

Last night, Chanmi messaged me and said that she was free today and if it was okay with me, she wanted to meet up and catch up. I honestly didn't except this because one; we never hung out outside our homes and two; she never messaged me first before. I was going to reject her because I was still mad at her for not telling me that she was coming back to Korea even if it was for just a few days, but I decided to say yes because... well, I missed her.

"Yena, don't worry."

I look at San again and see that he's put his hand on top of mine.

"If anything happens, I'm here," he smiles at me. "I'll run to your side as soon as I see you showing any sign of discomfort."

"Even if you have a customer?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Even if I have a customer," he nods. "I'm not the only one working here, there are others who can attend to the customers but there's only one Choi San who can attend to Han Yena."

I can't help but chuckle as I hear this. This man can make me smile even when I'm having a nervous breakdown. If he keeps being this sweet... my heart is going to burst.

I notice how San's eyes go from me to behind me and he slowly pulls his hand back, giving me a smile before walking away.

I look behind and see that Chanmi has arrived here and the nervousness that I barely managed to forget has come back with full force.

"Hi, Yena."

"Hey," not knowing what to do, I just awkwardly wave at her.

"Did you order?" she asks as she approaches me.

"Well, I didn't know what you'd like so..."

"Right," Chanmi smiles before going toward San. "Hello, I'll have one americano, please."

"Yes, Ma'am," San gives her his usual smile, the one he gives to the customers, and then goes to prepare the new order. Though not much of a barista, he can still make some of their coffees.

Right then, Gaeun comes and gives me my drink.

"Thank you," I smile at her.

"I put in extra chocolate syrup for you, Yena," Gaeun says in her usual shy voice.

"Really? Thank you," I chuckle a little. Then, I notice her looking behind me, as if trying to find a certain someone.

"You're alone today..."

"Yea, I'm meeting with an old friend," I nod and point to Chanmi with my head.

"Ah, I see," she gives me her shy smile. "Well, enjoy your drink."

"I will, thank you," I smile and nod as Gaeun goes back to her work. Seems like Yeosang's crush isn't so one-sided after all... Eunbi won't let this go if I tell her. I try to suppress my laughter as I think what the two of us can plan for Yeosang.