Fourteen

2015, July

I slap my cheeks to force myself to focus on the book in front of me. I've been stuck on the same page for almost half an hour now because I keep zoning out. I hate literature...

My hand reaches for my phone but I stop myself before I can take it. No, let's finish this thing first and then we can have a break.

I nod to myself and slap my cheeks two more times and try to focus on the text in front of me. Just as I'm trying to comprehend the material, someone knocks on my door.

"Yena, are you busy?"

I stare at the book and then shake my head, "not really."

"Well then, can you take this cake to San's house? I made the chocolate cake that San really likes and I want you to take some of it for them."

I keep silent for a while, contemplating on what to do.

"Yena?"

"Alright," I let out a sigh, "let me just change my shirt." I stand up from behind my desk and go toward my closet. Thankfully, I have set aside a shirt for times like this, situations when I suddenly have to get the door. I take my blue long-sleeve shirt and pull it over my tank top. My baggy pants aren't too bad so I just go with it.

I quickly tidy my hair and go out of my room. As soon as I open my door, the sweet smell of Mom's legendary chocolate cake welcomes me. I smile as I go to the kitchen where Mom is. "What you got there?" I peak over her shoulder as she's busy putting some cake on a plate.

"Oh, you know," after putting the last piece on the plate, Mom puts the cake scooper down, "just some of Seo Yubin's famous chocolate cake," she smiles at me.

"Ooh~ the legendary one with extra rich chocolate coating?" I reach for one of the pieces.

"No," she smacks my hand right before my fingers could touch it.

"But, why?"

"This is the plate you're going to take next door. That, is the one for us," she points to the other plate.

I frown as I see that the pieces on the plate that is 'ours' seem to be less than the ones on the plate for San's family. "Uh, Mrs. Seo? Don't you think you're being a bit... biased?"

"Well, San has eaten less chocolate cake than you. Plus, it's not like I send some next door whenever I make cake."

"Just adopt him as your son already," I playfully role my eyes as I act sulky.

"Nah, I just want you," Mom wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly.

I can't help but chuckle at Mom's sudden act of affection. She always hugs me randomly and I have to admit that I really love it.

"Alright, now go and take it to their house before it gets cold," she lets go of me and picks up the plate, "you know that my cake tastes better when it's still warm."

"Why couldn't you have just called San to come and take it..." I mumble as I take the plate from her.

"Here, let me open the door for you," she walks ahead of me and takes out my slippers from the shoe rack beside the door.

When I'm done wearing the slippers, she opens the door and waves goodbye as I go out. I puff my cheeks as I walk toward San's house and let out a deep breath as I reach their door. The first and last time I've been to his place was last year, when his parents invited us for dinner. Other than that, I've never been to his place. But he has come over a couple of times.

I let out another deep breath as I finally ring the doorbell. I hold the plate carefully as I wait for someone to open the door. Hold on... what am I going to say?!