Ch 28: Revenge

Later that night...

Y/n POV

I noticed Katara stealing away at night to Appa and I went to get Aang and Sokka. We went to confront her. 

"So you were just gonna take Appa anyway?" Aang asked, feigning anger. Katara didn't even turn around to face him, she just continued getting ready. 

"Yes." 

"It's ok, because I forgive you. That give you any ideas?" Aang asked hopefully and I mentally facepalmed. 

"Don't try to stop us," Katara said sternly. 

"I wasn't planning to. This is a journey you need to take. You need to face this man. But when you do, please don't choose revenge. Let your anger out, and then let it go. Forgive him," Aang said. Zuko rolled his eyes. 

"Ok, we'll be sure to do that, Guru Goody-Goody," he said sarcastically. I scoffed. 

"Zuko, watch out for you both. Katara, for the sake of yourself, I don't care what you do to him when you find him, just make sure it won't be something that'll make you feel terrible about yourself for the rest of your life," I told her. She nodded at me. 

The two took off on Appa and Sokka exhaled and faced Aang. 

"So, can I borrow Momo for a week?" He asked nonchalantly. I choked on my laughter while Aang looked confused. 

"Why do you need Momo?" Aang asked and Sokka just shrugged. 

"Just in case. Hey, Y/n, can I ask you something?" Sokka asked. I nodded. "Do you feel the same as Katara? That revenge is what's needed for closure," he asked me. I paused before answering carefully. 

"I don't know honestly. I think my situation is a little different from yours and Katara's," I said and I started to explain. 

Flashback...

My mother and I had finally begun to truly settle into our new Earth Kingdom home. It was a secluded area, just far enough away from the next village to give us some privacy. 

I was playing with my dolls in my room when I heard my mother call out to me. I ran to the kitchen, the smell of dinner making me smile. 

My mom gave me a plate and she sat with me at the table to eat, listening to me tell my imaginative stories and laughing. All of a sudden, I heard the sound of pounding hooves. My mother heard it too, and she ushered me into a back room, locking the door. 

"I need you to be quiet, don't worry, my love," my mother whispered to me. I nodded and agreed. 

I heard the front door get slammed in, and I heard voices yelling: my mom's and others. 

"Where's the child?!" I heard and then I heard my mother scream. I thought to myself if I should reveal myself or not. I didn't get the chance. 

The door hiding me was torn down by a mace, and I was dragged out of the room and thrown towards my mother. She was covered in bruises, her arms tied behind her back. She noticed me appear and I saw true fear in her eyes. 

"Leave us alone!" I yelled and I firebent at the man in front of me. He had a standard Fire Nation ponytail and shaved head, with a long mustache, a goatee, and a nose ring. 

The man waved off my fire and glared before smirking. 

"It'll be a pleasure ruining the rest of your life," he said and he formed a fire whip and attacked my mother. 

End of flashback 

"When I think about it now, the way he killed my mother in front of me, I understand wanting revenge. But with what I know about myself, I couldn't be the one to do it myself," I finished. Sokka nodded, putting a hand around my shoulder. 

"And I don't think Katara could do it either, you two are too good for that," he said and he kissed my cheek. I smiled. 

Yeah, she'll make the right choice...

Later...

Zuko and Katara came back, and in the end, Katara let the man live. She didn't forgive him, but she did forgive Zuko. I went over to Zuko after Katara left and pat his back. 

"Good job, you did something really helpful for her," I told him. He nodded and looked at me. 

"I can do this for you too. If you ever want to find the person that blackmailed your father and killed your mother, I'll help you," he offered. I nodded. 

"Let's just get through this war first," I told him, pushing aside the thought of facing either of them. 

I want justice, but am I strong enough to seek it out? Does my father want revenge? Should I just let him handle it?

And what if they're not done? What if the blackmailer still has a grudge against my family...?

~|~

Thanks for reading 💙💙