Chapter 1 (2/2)

From then on, Cade helps me bathe regularly. I let him cut my hair too. He cleans my clothes in a strange device. He makes me food and I eat with him at regular times. Unless he has to leave for work, then I miss out on a meal time. But it's not like I need to eat so often.

Cade has explained what every device in his house is. I intently listen and take note of their names and what they do. He gives me a weird smile but doesn't explain what it means.

I knew my hands and arms were essential in living... but somehow I didn't realize just how much I needed them. Cade says I can open the fridge for food but I can't without my hands. For some reason he apologizes every time he makes a mistake like that. I don't really care. I'm just surprised by how even more powerless I realize I am every day.

One day he's feeding me breakfast as usual. I chew and swallow.

"Cade. What do you do for work?" I ask. I wonder where he goes every time he leaves the house.

"Oh. I work a couple jobs. One is volunteering at the orphanage. Another is exposing illegal slave trades and businesses like that. Then my last one is at a flower shop that often works with various charities." Cade explains. He takes a bite of his food.

"...so the building I was held captive in before you found me is...?"

"Vacant. I shut down their business by reporting it."

"It sounds like you do good for this world... somehow I thought you were evil since you could hold your own against the king of vampires."

Cade offers me more food. I take it. "I think it's better to do good. Someone will always need help. I want to try my best to help them if it's possible."

I chew on my food. He seems obsessed with helping others. He took in a dangerous vampire and is trying to help me too. I don't think any other person would have tried this.

Cade checks his watch. "Oh! I have to go to work! Today it's the orphanage! Did you have enough to eat?"

"You know I don't really need to eat, right?" I ask.

"Sure, whatever. See ya!" Cade rushes out of the house after cleaning up. I watch him go.

I wander around the house when Cade is gone. It's all I can do to wait for him to come back. I've gotten used to our routine. It's too boring to sit in a room for years anyway.

Cade always keeps things clean and tidy. His bed is always made when I peek inside his room. I've laid on my bed to see how it feels. I've felt more at ease to try and sleep. But eating and sleeping would just be a pleasure to indulge in. I don't truly need it to survive. Cade always makes my bed when I lay on it and mess it up. I never know when he tidies it though.

There's something called a TV in the living room. I've seen it on a couple times. Cade always forgets to leave it on for me though. I'm still not sure how it works so I can't try to turn it on myself. It seems like an interesting device. I'd like to explore it more.

The hours pass as I wait for Cade to come home and entertain me. I should mention the TV to him. I might be able to pass the time more leisurely if I can explore that device.

The sun goes down and it gets dark in the house. I sit on the couch and see as my eyes adjust to the darkness. I can clearly see in the dark but my eyes must adjust a little at first, the same as humans. Yet my sight is still greater than theirs.

As I wait, I listen to the small noises from outside. I pick up something strange. It sounds like a human may be approaching the house. I don't understand what they're doing here. It isn't until they test a window and break the glass before I realize.