The Red Army

Martyn woke me up the next morning. "Ren says it's time for the tests of loyalty."

I was well rested. I hadn't had any nightmares since I had died. Sure, it was nice, but it felt like the calm before the storm.

Ren was talking to Skiz (normally, not with a fake accent) when we came up out of the basement. They seemed to be discussing a secret tunnel between Dogwarts and Skizzle Point. If Ren trusted Skiz enough to dig a tunnel in between their bases, then so did I.

Martyn and I joined the conversation, but Martyn seemed quieter than usual. I didn't know what he was so afraid of, because he was about the most loyal a person could get. If this test would show how loyal he was, he would certainly pass.

We finished planning and Skiz left. I offered to leave too, but Ren said I could stay if I wanted so I did. Martyn looked at me, his eyes saying a silent thank you.

Ren had built a pedestal right in the middle of the carrot patch, and he stood there as he gave a speech that could have motivated a crowd of hundreds to two people.

"Martyn, ye have been at my side from the very beginning, when Dogwarts was a wee enchanting business!"

It would have been funny if I wasn't so terrified.

"Ye have helped me build up this empire, yet I lied to you many times about the deals I had made."

Martyn nodded in agreement.

"We have had our arguments in the past, but now, we will both take the test of ultimate loyalty! This war with the sand hippies" - I nearly choked - "has gone on too long without us being able to fight back! Take this axe, me laddie, and become the Hand of the King!"

Martyn's eyes widened as Ren handed him a diamond axe. It shimmered with magic. He looked up with determination in his eyes. "I accept."

"We have had many casualties already - but there will only be more. We need to be able to attack, for the Red Winter is coming."

I was starting to pick up what Ren was putting down. And it wasn't good.

"We must keep up with the times. We must be red. So, as your test of loyalty, Hand, you must slay your king."

I had seen it coming. But I still yelled, "WHAT?!" along with Martyn.

"That's... that's the one thing I can't do..." Martyn said weakly.

"You must, and you will if you are truly loyal."

I gave it a try. "You don't know what you're saying, Ren. Being red...it's not good. You're ruled by feelings of vengeance and hate, and when you follow those feelings, you're overwhelmed by guilt. Don't make him do this!"

"He must. The future of Dogwarts depends on it."

Martyn was deathly pale. "I-I'll do it."

Ren nodded with approval and kneeled down in front of Martyn. Martyn hesitated.

"Do it," Ren pleaded, and I realized that whether or not he was red, he would still be out to murder Scar. He just wanted to do it legally.

I looked away as Martyn swung the axe.

Ren Dog was slain by Martyn Littlewood

Red Winter is coming.

Ren emerged from the basement a moment later, battle axe in hand. He wore a tattered fur cloak that he must have been saving for this. His crown had a crack through it where Martyn had struck it. And of course, his life heart and eyes were bright scarlet.