The crazy old man

"Levi you know I can't have you in here anymore." "Erwin shut the hell up. My brain is throbbing." Levi snaps. "Look the car belongs to a F/n, L/n. She goes to the same college Eren is attending. He could have just asked her for a ride. Thats it." Erwin says. "That's even fucking worse. If she trusts him enough to drive him, just imagine what else he's doing. What if she's living with that fucking maniac. What if... what if he does it again." Levi says.

"Look...look. I understand how awful that experience was for you. And I know you want to hate him so badly. Nothing will ever justify what he did, or bring back Mikasa. But Eren is different now. He went to a mental institution for 2 years. He's going to school, he has a job. And if this young lady is his girlfriend that means he's moving forward in his life. You should too." Erwin says. "FUCKING BULLSHIT. That isn't something you 'move on' from. No one 'moves on' from fucking murder Erwin. He killed her. He meant to do everything he did to her." Levi says.

"Levi she k... He didn't do it." "What the fuck do you mean he didn't do it just because he didn't pull the trigger means he's innocent? Don't give me that crap." Levi says. "I worked on this case with you. I know Eren just like you know him. And all it looks like is a messed up kid that got into more trouble than it was worth. I mean he loved Mikasa, that was probably a huge toll on him." "LOVE? LOVE? I COULD KILL YOU RIGHT NOW. You think. Even for a second there was love in his heart? He is a fucking maniac monster, he doesn't understand the concept of fucking love. I should have killed him while I had the chance." Levi says.

"And that is exactly why you've been on leave for almost 2 years. You can't hold this in your heart Levi. Just go to therapy and get your life together. Maybe they'll let you back in the work force and you can come do your job." Erwin says. "I won't pick up a new assignment until this case is closed." Levi says. "ACKERMAN THIS CASE HAS BEEN CLOSED. WOULD YOU LIKE THE FULL STORY? SINCE YOU CAN'T FATHOM THE TRUTH?" Erwin yells. Levi stares at him with pale tired eyes.

Erwin turns around and opens up a filing cabinet. He rips it off of the hinges and slams the metal box onto a table. He pulls another out, and another out. All four levels of the cabinet now pulled out, leaving a hollow metal rectangle. "ALL OF THIS. FOR ONE CASE. THIS IS HOW DEDICATED WE WERE. HOW DEDICATED I WAS." Erwin yells. He pulls out file after file.

"Mikasa begins dating Eren after being close friends with him for a year. All fine all good until Eren goes missing. Mikasa is distraught by her boyfriend's disappearance but suddenly he pops back up unharmed. Said he needed 'a break from reality'. A month later Mikasa goes missing. Pops up unharmed 3 weeks later with the same excuse. This continues over and over as if it were a game until one day Eren does not come back. Then Mikasa goes missing as well. Their parents went weeks without concern, thinking it was just them taking their 'realty break' again. Until a month passes with no word."

"The boy who cried wolf scenario. They kept playing missing, so when they actually went missing no was worried. After 2 months people got nervous. Then 3 months caused panic. There was no trace of them. An all out manhunt to find them ensued. But they had left planet earth. No phone records, no store cameras. No car, No money. How would they survive three months with nothing. The manhunt became a body search. They had to have been murdered or something. Anything. They can't just disappear. Dead end after dead end. That is until Eren resurfaces. He looked the same. Unharmed. Everyone was overjoyed at their return. Except there was no 'their'. It was just him. 'Where's Mikasa' everyone wondered. Expecting her to be on her way or perhaps still in hiding. But the story turns dark. Eren wasn't back to reunite, Eren was back to confess."

"He tells everyone of their plan to run away together and live off of the grid. Eren said he stole from his parents to fund their getaway. But after they were a month in Mikasa started having second thoughts. She wanted to abandon Eren, just like his father had done. Leave him all alone, even though they had sworn to stay. Eren wouldn't have it he wouldn't let it slip through his fingers, no no no. He coerced Mikasa into staying. Breaking her down mentally until she felt obligated to stay with him. Every day Eren manipulated her, every day he broke her down. All in the name of love, all in the fear of abandonment. He begs for forgiveness and to be put out of his misery. But this still made no sense. So maybe he was manipulative, toxic. Thats what therapy was for. That was no reason to die. Thats what everyone thought at first."

"Until he informed us Mikasa wouldn't be coming back, because she was dead. Of course everyone's mind went to murder but Eren assured that wasn't the case. She had done it to herself. They had been living on the run, driving from town to town in a car the somewhat stole. They paid for it but drove off before legal documents of possession could be made. Eren claims that while he was getting paying for gas Mikasa jumped into the drivers seat and pulled off. She sped off before Eren could get to her. He said he followed the trail of gasoline on foot for hours until he made it to a bridge and the trail stopped. The railing had been broken off and when he looked over the edge all he saw was the roof of the car."

"Eren says he dove into the water immediately without thinking. He pulled her body out of the car and onto land, but it was already too late. Oh and he put on a show." Erwin says, pulling out a tape recorder and hitting the playback button. Eren's voice could be heard wailing and screaming. Begging to be killed. He asked for the death penalty over and over again, saying if they wouldn't kill him he'd do it himself. Calling himself a murderer. He cried and cried. Such spine chilling cries and screams. The worst death possible. Thats what he wanted. He wanted it to be slow and painful. He wanted to feel everything he made Mikasa feel.

The only issue was. The court ate it up.

"Oh that poor poor boy. Oh he lost his father. But he loved her. They were in love. It's Romeo and Juliette. He wanted to be together forever. Oh that poor poor boy. He's over there just sick. He's just sick. So so very sick. Oh what a poor poor boy."

He was let off with a mere slap on the wrist. Five years in a secure mental institution, he was let out after 2 years because of impeccable behavior. The nurses all say he just needed a hug. He was a broken boy that just needed to be consoled. He wasn't a bad guy. He could never murder someone.

Some even made Mikasa the villain. "She knew what she was getting herself into. The boy was sick and she didn't care if it was contagious. I feel bad but I don't know why she would go do a damn thing like that. She's the real manipulator if you ask me. She could've used that car to go home but instead she killed herself to make that poor boy feel bad."

"Levi we tracked over this story with a fine toothed comb. Everything he said checked out. From the runaway story. We found Mikasa's diary. Word for word in her own handwriting she wrote how she would be leaving to be with Eren. How they would live in a forest like some fucking Disney characters. The coercion. There were signs of self harm on Eren's body that would prove he manipulated her. He was truthful about it all. Witnesses say they watched the car veer off the bridge. Mikasa didn't loose her grip or crash. She purposefully steered off. Multiple people have video of Eren limping from exhaustion down a road. He walked miles to reach her. And when Eren did find her the police had already made it. They were trying to get a helicopter down to her but instead Eren jumped down himself. Every single fucking thing checks out. I've never seen an alibi so sound. He didn't lie once he told everything. The story never switched. Levi it was a sick boy and a naive girl. That's it." Erwin says.

"Please just, let this go. I know she's your sister. I know you want her back. But there is nothing we.. there's nothing anyone... There's nothing that can be done." Erwin says. Levi still sits staring at him with glossy eyes.

"I know."