14

When the empty, dark road comes into view, I can immediately tell something is different.

It's cold.

I'm already shivering and my breath is coming out in visible puffs. As I mindlessly begin to take a few steps forward, snow begins to fall around me.

"I don't understand," I whisper as I hold out my shivering hand to catch the snowflakes in my palm. "Why is it different?"

"You almost seem more surprised about the snow than you were about me showing up," Taehyung's deep voice echoes around me and I turn around, only to see nothing but the road and the snow falling.

I don't know why I begin to cry, but the only word I can use to describe what I'm feeling is unsettled. Something inside of me realizes that these changes that are happening to what I thought was a harmless dream... this is something bad.

"I don't understand," I say, my breath gathering in a fog, wrapping itself around me as I shiver uncontrollably. Tears slide down my cheeks and it's so cold that I can swear that they'll freeze to my skin.

"I'm sorry you're crying, Violet," Taehyung's voice floats through the air again. I squint into the darkness but I still can't seem to see him or even tell where his voice is coming from. It's like he's everywhere, but also nowhere. "I've watched you for a long time now and I don't like how much you cry. It's not fair to you."

"Just please tell me what this is," I say, feeling my knees buckle as I fall to the ground. "Taehyung, I'm scared."

I slowly see a pair of long legs emerge from the darkness, and I slowly let my gaze travel upwards until I meet Taehyung's face.

He walks until he's right in front of me, kneeling down so we're face to face.

"I just want you to know... no, I need you to know that I am here for you, Violet," Taehyung says. "I won't leave you until you decide you don't need me anymore."

"I don't understand!" I find myself screaming at him through my tears as I begin to hyperventilate. "Why do I keep seeing you in my dream?"

"I'm sorry," Taehyung says, his voice beginning to sound far away. "Violet, I'm so sorry. I can't help you, but I'm here for you... I promise."

I jolt awake, Taehyung's voice still ringing in my ear. I'm drenched in sweat, and as soon as I come to my senses, I run to the bathroom before emptying my stomach into the toilet, my entire body tensing up as the heaving continues.

"Violet?" I hear vaguely, and I feel someone grab my hair to hold it back.

"Go away," I say through ragged breaths. "I'll get you sick."

I hear a chuckle and I realize it's Jungkook. "I got the flu shot, don't worry."

After I'm finished, I flush the toilet and lean back into Jungkook's chest, his arms reaching around to hold me.

"You're drenched in sweat," he says as he pulls me closer. "Are you okay?"

"I could've sworn I was cold," I whisper, but he doesn't hear me.

I try to slow my breathing as Jungkook moves my hair off of my face, and I see someone standing in the doorway of the bathroom, watching us sit on the floor.

"I'm fine, Jin," I say, turning towards him. "Don't worry about-"

My words freeze in my throat as I make eye contact with the man in the doorway, who isn't who I thought it was.

Taehyung's features are a bit cloudy, almost as if he's standing behind an old window, his image warped and nearly unrecognizable. I know it's him, though; I could recognize those eyes anywhere.

From what I can see, there is one emotion clear on his face: he's in pain.

"Violet?" Jungkook asks in a quiet voice. "It's me, Jungkook."

"I, uh..." I say, blinking a few times until the doorway to the bathroom is empty again. "Sorry. I knew it was you. Just still half asleep, I guess."

I take another glance at the empty doorway, my heart pounding.

"Come on," Jungkook says, helping me to stand as he pulls my attention back to him. "Do you want to take a bath to cool you down?"

My legs are shaking beneath me, and I know I don't have the energy to do anything, much less take a bath.

"I just want to go back to sleep," I say, pushing my sweaty hair out of my face as I turn to look at Jungkook.

"Drink some water first," he says, leading me to the bathroom sink. I turn the faucet on and cup my hand underneath the flow of water. After a few small sips, I feel it immediately try to come back up, so I turn the faucet off and take a few deep breaths before glancing at myself in the mirror.

I'm paler than normal, dark circles underneath my eyes as sweat drips down the side of my face. If I've learned one thing from this experience, it's that I don't ever want to catch the flu again.

"Let me carry you," he says, bringing me out of my thoughts. "I can feel your legs shaking."

"I'm fine," I say, pushing him away slightly while trying to ignore the lightheadedness. I only take two steps before I'm swept into Jungkook's arms, and he carries me bridal-style back to the couch, gently laying me on it before going to get a cool cloth to place on my forehead.

"Here," he says when he comes back. "This won't be as helpful as a cool bath, but maybe it'll ease your discomfort a little."

"Thanks, Kookie," I say, tears swimming in my eyes. "Once I get better, I definitely owe you one."

"You shouldn't feel like you have to do anything for me," Jungkook says, smiling a bit as my eyelids begin to feel heavy. "The only thing I want is for you to be free."

"I can't," I say, chin quivering.

"I know," he whispers, smiling sadly as my eyelids flutter closed. "I know, and I'm so sorry."