SAMPLE - Chapter Three

Start from the beginning

It's perfect being here in this very moment. A flashback of my parents comes rushing back to me, thinking of when I was only thirteen and we had all went on a vacation. We stayed at a hotel and had the most incredible view of a sunset, and we simply couldn't understand how vivacious the sight before us was.

That was the last time I stood in front of a window this big. We couldn't believe how lucky we were to be seeing something so magnificent together. Now, I'm standing alone.

I blot away a tear at the corner of my eye feeling foolish as I turn around and leave the guest room at once. The master bedroom has me in pure disbelief.

The king-sized bed has me fantasizing. I find myself picturing Jaxon Edwards naked before me, and my face blushes at the images in my head.

Sheepishly turning around, I nearly knock myself over as I bump into something. Large, firm hands grasp my arms to keep me steady.

"Are you all right?" Mr. Edwards asks.

"Sure," I dryly mutter. "I'm fine."

"A bottle of wine should arrive shortly."

He sits down beside me on the couch in the living area, cautiously staring at me without saying a word.

The fireplace has me at ease as a quiet knock sounds upon the door, and he gracefully moves to his feet. Once it opens, a man with a cart is standing before him, with a bottle of wine and a bucket of ice. Eventually he rolls the cart further into the room, retrieving two glasses from the dining area and finally reappearing.

He swiftly opens the bottle, and fills our glasses half way.

"Take a sip," Jaxon orders, handing me the glass. "What do you think, Ms. Pierce?"

Amazing.

"The best wine I've ever had," I admit.

He places his glass onto the table in front of us. "Excuse me for a moment. I'm going to take a few of my bags to my room and I'm going to bring you the contract."

My stomach drops. "Contract?"

"Yes, contract."

He retrieves two suitcases before leaving the room.

With sudden fear of the unknown, I rush to my feet and feel myself becoming sick. I pace around the living room only to find there's a balcony, fresh air sounding perfect.

My stomach finally starts to settle as I take a deep breath of the warm air, easing my nerves. What a sight is right before my very eyes. The tall buildings are lit up, and the sounds of the city below us are roaring, cars, sirens, and the wind.

The brightness of the stars in the sky has me at peace with the universe.

"Beautiful out here, isn't it?" His voice startles me as I turn to face him, and he's leaning in the opened doorway. I remain silent. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," I reply.

Turning my back to him, I place my arms on the balcony rails and take another sip of my wine that must have cost him a fortune. A warm breath blows against the back of my neck since my hair is blowing to the side, goosebumps rising on my delicate flesh. I breathe in, realizing how close he must be.

"Talk to me, Sasha."

"I'm fine."

"No," he says, adamant. "Tell me what you're thinking. I don't prefer to make repeating myself a habit."

"Just give me the contract."

His eyes narrow, and he steps closer. "Why won't you tell me what's on your mind?"