65. Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

They were now both in the living room, Francesco on his favourite chair, Sofia on the couch.

"I've spent money today," she said feeling offended.

"Really?" Her older brother raised his eyebrows "What did you get for yourself?" He asked, clearly interested but sceptical about her answer.

"Postcards, espresso, and pizza for a dinner" she listed with pure excitement.

"How much did you pay for that pizza?" he asked with his arms crossed. 

"3€? That's beyond the point!"

Francesco chuckled and shook his head.

"Fia, we have millions on our bank accounts and you're buying cheap pizza and postcards"

"Would you like me to buy a house??" Sofia joked.

"No, just get food at restaurants that won't give you stomach flu" he teased her.

"If the food comes with no risk, I don't want it" she deadpanned. That's true, her pizza, postcards and espresso were cheap things She liked cheap things. Loved them. And she's not going to stop enjoying them.

When for the moment they stopped talking Sofia had a moment to take a proper look at her older brother. He looked tired.

"Is everything alright?" She asked.

"A lot of things is happening lately" he admitted. Sensing he doesn't want to talk about it,

"Have you seen Valentino? I didn't since yesterday" She decided to ask another question. It was late, but he could be partying it was Saturday after all.

"I didn't"

Then, Francesco received a call.

"I need to go back to work," he announced and Sofia nodded feeling sorry for him, it was evening and he should be resting.

"Okay" she gave him quick hug and watched him go. She couldn't get rid of a sense that something is wrong.

***

When she woke up on Sunday she was sure she was going to see Valentino in the kitchen but he wasn't there.

"Where is Valentino?" She was repeating herself but this time her question was directed at Francesco, who was drinking a cup of coffee in the kitchen.

"He went for a camping trip won't be here for several days"

"Oh... he didn't even tell me he's going?" Sofia felt hurt.

Francesco didn't reply.

Before Sofia started eating she used her phone to write Valentino a message "Have a nice road trip" and hid the cellphone in her pocket.

***

When the next day she woke up the first thing she did was to check her phone.

No response.

Sure, there was an option that he was just too busy having fun to bother with replying but she was worried now.

She called him. No response.

Second call. No response.

Ok, now she was panicking. She needed to call Alessandro.

"Yes?"

"Valentino is not picking up my calls and he didn't respond to my message from yesterday," Sofia said anxiously.

"What do you want me to do about it?" Alessandro asked quietly. Sofia was weirded out by this question.

"Can you check if he's alright?" Sofia asked. 

"He's going to be fine" Alessandro assured, his voice cold. 

"That wasn't my question" Sofia insisted. 

"Sofia, I am busy. We will talk later-"

"Just tell me what the hell is going on?"

"Don't swear"

"Alessandro"

"We will speak when I'm back home"

He hung up. Just like that.

20 minutes later Alessandro and Francesco were back at home.

"We need to talk. You have five minutes to get downstairs" was all Francesco said before leaving her room.

When she went downstairs a scary image unfolded right in front of her. The last time she saw these expressions on her brothers' faces was after she came back from her escape to Taormina. The atmosphere was heavy. Something was definitely wrong.

Alessandro instructed her to sit down. When she did he started speaking; "I don't think there's a gentle way of saying that so I will be blunt. Valentino has been kidnapped"

***

Hi guys, 

Sorry, I wish I could write more but a day has only 24 hours, unfortunately. Any theories about who stands behind Valentino's kidnapping and what's going to happen next? ;)