31. Guardian Angel

Dear Readers,

Thank you very much for all of your kind comments. Please let me know what you think about the following chapter. Of course I should be sleeping but sleeping is for the weak.

Enjoy!

"If you need to ask it means you're not ready"

"What's with all these secrets," Sofia asked frustrated and Rosa laughed wholeheartedly. "Eat up kids. The food won't finish itself" she said in a brisk voice.

"So what are you planning to do? Will you let Denaros know that you're related to them?" Bruno asked curiously.

"No. I mean... not yet. Not now. I might do it after Ianniellos kick me out" Sofia said gloomily without bothering to look up from her plate.

"What are you talking about?" Bruno was totally confused.  "They're your family they will never kick you out" Bruno assured.

"Absolutely dear" Rosa backed up her grandson.

"You can't be sure of that. They might have enough of me soon" Sofia said, revealing her deepest fear. She knew in other people's eyes it will be unreasonable and stupid for her to feel that way but did it stop her anxiety? No. Fear is often irrational.

There was a part of her that believed her fear of rejection is rational. Because she was mentally ill, she felt that her illness might be tiresome to people. She was like a burden that someone had to carry and for what she wasn't even fully related to them.

Sofia continued speaking "After all, I am only their part-sister, half-family almost a stranger. I am an offspring of a mother that has abandoned them they might never get really attached to me and I don't blame them." Sofia pointed out. She knew that if someone has told something like this to her she would hit that person for being an idiot.

"Do you care about them less because they're only your half-sibling?" Bruno asked.

"Of course not," Sofia said, offended by his suggestion.

"Then why are you saying all this bullshit?" Bruno asked annoyed.

"Bruno, language!" Nonna yelled and she gently slapped him with the kitchen towel this swiftly prompted him to apologize.

"No, it's okay. He's right" Sofia said shyly. "I know I shouldn't be afraid of them abandoning me because they were nothing but kind to me. It's just... It's unreasonable"

"Nonsense!" Rosa yelled and Sofia looked at her in shock. Sofia expected Rosa to admit that she's being unreasonable, but she didn't. Instead, she said "Some people don't trust others easily and they have their reasons. It's okay if you have your reasons honey" Rosa said gently.

That response made Sofia's eyes tear up. She nodded, unable to speak. Thankful for Rosa's words. She was so understanding, so accepting. Bruno was lucky to have a grandmother like that. It made Sofia wonder what her grandmother was like.

When she asked Rosa about Ida the atmosphere lightened up. Rosa had nothing but warm words and heartfelt stories to tell about her best friend. Both Bruno and Sofia listened with full focus because Rosa was an amazing storyteller.

Sofia enjoyed her time with the Neri family. Their house was small but cozy, the atmosphere was full of warmth and honesty. Nothing was complicated here. But everything good must end so her time with Neris' had to end as well.

"It's getting late, I need to go," she said finally.

"Stay for a longer" Bruno protested and Sofia wanted to follow his request but she couldn't, she had things to do.