48. On the Road Home

"Sofia, he will get me anyway you only just postponed it" Bruno explained to her when they finally sat in Valentino's red ferrari. "I'd prefer if he beat me to the pulp now, instead of waiting until tomorrow" Bruno sighed.

"You know you can be beaten up tomorrow and today if you won't stop acting like your issues are my sister's problem," Valentino said in a cheery voice that didn't match the words he was saying.

"Stop threatening him," Sofia said sharply.

"It's not a threat it's a suggestion," Valentino said in a calming manner.

Sofia decided to not dignify Valentino with a response.

"Bruno, are you okay?" Sofia asked her friend quietly. He was really pale.

"Yeah, it's just that I'm about to go to your house," Bruno whispered weakly.

"So?" Sofia asked, innocently.

"Your brothers are there" he mouthed hoping Valentino won't hear.

Sofia herself could barely understand why is he so terrified.

"Don't worry we will just quickly go to my room" she assured.

"Aww, I thought we will all hang out together in the living room. Francesco and Alessandro will be excited to meet him"

"Valentino!" Sofia whined. Why was he in this difficult mood today?

"Valentino" he made his voice higher and she gasped at his actions which prompted his cackle.

Unbelievable.

The sound of her phone interrupted their conversation. She checked who's calling and froze. It was Alessandro. She looked at the screen of her newest iPhone in worry. She picked up with shaking hands.

"Yes?"

"I receive a call from Mrs Esposito, she informed me you decided to not show up in her class"

"I'm sorry"

"Sofia, you may not understand how I run the house so I will explain it in simple terms: You do something you're not supposed to do you face the consequences" he explained patiently.

"I understand," Sofia said sadly, worried about what her punishment might be.

"You will write an essay"

Sofia wanted to laugh out of relief and how ridiculous this punishment was.

Kids were forced to write some long stories about the topic like Why skipping classes is

"But this is a punishment for kids," she said with amusement.

"Good for you then" Alessandro pointed out.

"What?" What was the point he was trying to make by acknowledging her comment?

"If it's a task for a child it's going to be very easy for you to do what I ask" he responded smoothly.

Okay, now she liked it less.

"Fine" she sighed heavily.

"I must warn you I read essays I assign very carefully so it better be good. You're lucky I am in Messina which means you will have time till tomorrow to come up with something impressive"

Wait, he left the city? Sofia couldn't believe her luck.

"What are you doing in Messina?"

"Business conference. I will be back tomorrow evening" he replied. The Sofia heard him responding to someone else then her. "We will talk later" he promised "Oh, right. The essay should cover in detail why you decided to skip classes, and why you should re-evaluate your actions in the future"