34. The Extent of Privacy

Double update!
Enjoy ❤️

"He helped... me when I didn't have... a place to sleep," Sofia said solely, her voice strained. She was sure if she's going be forced to make even one more sound she will burst out crying.

Alessandro stood up abruptly and Sofia took a step back when he ended up standing right in front of her the moment she see the movement of his hands shooting right towards her she covered her face with her arm as she used to do in order to protect herself from Paul.

However, the pain she was expecting did not come at all. The moment she realized he's not going to hit her she dropped her hands quickly and Alessandro used this opportunity to hold both sides on her face in his arms. He was focused, his eyes were cold, he did not comment on her reaction.

"What did he want in return?" Alessandro asked, his eyes wary.

"What do you mean?" Sofia asked innocently "Nothing"

"So you're saying he randomly took you off the streets because of the good heart? That boy should be running a charity then" Alessandro responded in disbelief and anger. He thought she was lying, Sofia realized.

"He didn't approach me out of nowhere. I was being harassed by a drunk man and he saved me from him. When he saw me cold and hungry he just took me to the place where he and his other homeless friends were sleeping but after he learned that my disappearance is a high-profile case he decided I cannot stay, he allowed me to sleep there for one night and then I left and I was caught by the police. That's all"

Alessandro sighed and he was no longer holding Sofia's face in his hands. But he didn't go back to his chair either. He was standing in front of her in close proximity and said "Why have you flinched like that? Have someone been violent towards you?" He asked gently. Sofia wanted to look away but he held her face in his arm "Piccola, please be honest with me"

He called her piccola. There was something in his eyes, something that was telling her she can trust him. So she told the truth.  "Paul and other mother's partners tended to be... violent when drunk"

"Have you been sexually assaulted?" he was straightforward. Sofia realized that the tone he was using was an interrogation tone the simplicity of his questions made it impossible for her to lie. Despite his harshness, she understood where is it coming from: concern.

"No" she responded truthfully. Now and then some of her mother partners would say something inappropriate but it has never been physical. Sofia has never been hurt in that way. One time it was close, but she escaped.

"Speaking of doctors," he said as he started pacing around the room with his arms crossed "What old prescription was there in your pocket today?"

"Raul told you?" Sofia asked in a betrayed hurt voice

"Of course. It's his job to make sure you're safe"

"Don't I deserve some privacy?" Sofia asked feeling a protest bubbling in her stomach. Just when she thought Raul's presence would be something she'd get used to this was happening.

"Naturally, you do but we might misunderstand how much privacy you're allowed to have, you're definitely not allowed to hide anything concerning your health from me"

She turned her back on him ready to run out of the room but he stopped her.

"Have I told you you're dismissed?" He asked quietly.

Okay. Sofia realized something now. She has not spent much time with Alessandro but one thing was clear. He was the leader of this family and he was calling the shots. She rarely had time to speak with him. But most importantly the encounters she had with him have been rather official and brief. She recalled the conversation the day before school he dismissed quickly her request to go to the higher class. Then when he learned about Bruno he said she can't have a boyfriend until he learns more about her.

Now he was learning more about her. About her fucked up past and he clearly didn't like it. It clearly didn't inspire any trust that she can take care of herself and this pissed her off.

But she had to act like an adult. She will not cry, she will not run away she will face him again and look him straight in the eyes.

"I apologize. Is there anything else you need from me?" Her voice was cold. She was rigid. She wanted him to know she doesn't like any of this.

"I want to see that prescription" he responded.

"I threw it away" she lied.

"When you speak Sofia, you will look me in the eyes. Now repeat what you just said" he said strictly.

This is when Sofia realized she's physically unable to repeat her lie. She couldn't. His gaze was trapping, unyielding and suddenly she knew why he needed just a few minutes with Paul to convince him to resign from custody rights. Alessandro's power was terrifying. Sofia didn't realize when she reached to the pocket of her jeans and hands and handed him the piece of paper cursing herself for being such a wimp.

"What is this for?"

"A mood stabilizer"

"Mood stabilizer? Why do you need a mood stabilizer for? Eyes on me"

It was very difficult to speak with Alessandro when he was in a mood like this.

"Because my therapist suspected I have a bipolar disorder" Sofia admitted reluctantly.

"How long have you been on medications?"

"Few months"

That's it. He's going to kick her out of the house. Who would like to share a house with a stranger who's also a nut job?

Alessandro nodded. "On Monday you're not going to school, I will schedule the meeting with a specialist"

"You don't have to," she said quietly, still trying to process his reaction. He's not throwing her out of the house?

"I want to" he responded as if it should be obvious.

"If you don't want me to live here anymore I will understand" she tried to make sure he knows.

"Why wouldn't I want you to live here?" Alessandro's brows furrowed as if he didn't understand her words.

"Because I'm mental and unpredictable? What if I harm you because of my stupid brain not working as it should. It's not your job, you shouldn't have to take care of me" Sofia started rambling incoherently.

She was shocked to find herself trapped in a gentle hug. He started stroking her head in a calming gesture. "Sofia, I still have no idea what have you been dealing with for this whole time. I am just glad you're here, I'm trying to make sense of all of this while keeping you safe. I definitely have to, it's my duty to take care of you and I'm not afraid of you, no one in the house is or ever will be. Is that clear?"

"Yes. Thank you" she hugged him back and cried.

She cried for a long time in his arms and Alessandro just let her. His grip tightened as he was acutely aware that this girl was his sister. His blood. He couldn't forgive himself for not finding out about her existence earlier, he should've been there for her. He should've protect her from the beginning. He can't turn back time so he just has to make sure nothing bad will happen to her from now on.

"Are you done piccola?"

"I'm not that small, you're just above average tall," she said sniffling.

"You've got a point but I will keep calling you that," Alessandro said with amusement and ruffled her hair in a friendly gesture. "One more thing. Your curfew from now on is 8 pm"

"8?! It's way too early!"

"Sofia, I would like to ask you to not argue with me" Alessandro said, very politely but there was sternness to his words. 

"I don't want to argue either but you're making it incredibly hard" Sofia responded, trying to lift a mood with her humor.

"It's late. Time to sleep" he informed and Sofia nodded. She noted how the corners of his lips lifted gently.

"Buonanotte fratello" Sofia said softly.

Alessandro smiled gently and wished her goodnight in return.

When the doors closed after Sofia, Alessandro's tender expression was replaced with an expressionless mask. He used his cellphone to inform Francesco to get Valentino and come to his office.