65. Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

Sofia stayed silent and looked at Raul with curiosity. She wondered where is he getting with this speech.

"I'm glad you called Alessandro and I'm not mad or offended. Can't trust anyone these days but being disloyal to your family would be a miscalculation on my part. The salary is good and my charge is not entitled. A dream for a person with my profession" Raul assured her and gave her a smile.

Then, the topic of the conversation changed. Raul had tons of stories about rich kids doing insane things. He told her a terrifying story of one of his former clients. The kid was 19, he got drunk and tried to take a shit on someone's roof. This is what prompted Raul to find a different job.

Sofia wanted to ask him about other stories, he was a funny way of telling them but she couldn't do that. She noted that there was a black car tailing them.

"Raul, I think someone is following us," she said, stressed out.

"Don't worry about it. We have some additional security"

She felt like a big weight disappeared from her chest.

"Why?"

"Syracusa is out of our territory" Raul responded shortly.

Syracusa was approximately at the same distance to Catania as Taormina so Sofia had no idea why this trip has been treated differently.

"When I went to Taormina I didn't have additional security, right?"

"Are you sure?" Raul asked.

No, Sofia wasn't sure. Maybe someone was following them but she didn't notice anything.

"We're here" Raul announced when he parked the car at one of the narrow streets of the city centre.

Landscapes and architecture were out of this world. Seeing the sea while walking will always feel special to her.

When she saw people on the bus she felt a mix of sadness and melancholy. She missed a bit being a person who could just be one of the many strangers there. When she could go whenever they wanted alone. Now she had Raul following her like a shadow. She didn't want to be ungrateful she just wanted to feel... normal again.

She took a walk near the coast, went to the local cafe and ordered an espresso. Then she sat for a while at the bench enjoying the view of the sea, for her this view was the view she could usually see only on holiday, or in pictures. Now she was living in this place where the sea could be reached with the palm of her hand.

The whole day she spends doing normal tourist stuff. She got a few postcards, went on a beach, visited a few churches and other historic sites.

"Maybe we should come back?" Sofia suggested when for a third time Raul tried to distract with a new idea or location to see.

"Of course" Raul agreed.

She felt relieved. She wanted to see her brothers. She and Valentino had a movie night planned for today.

When they arrived home everything seemed to be in order, actually, Francesco came back home, finally.

He didn't hesitate to give her a hug.

"How was your day, Fia?" He asked.

"It was great. Syracusa is amazing. We should go there together one day" she replied "How was yours?"

"It was great. The gun prototype I've been working on is gathering the interest of some relevant investors" Francesco winked at her. "We will go. Maybe on a longer trip, and I will force you to spend some money" he winked at her.