0|8

~
One Lone Daredevil
~
"You have two minutes to pack your necessities... "

Dan woke up in the middle of their game. Rocks had to prepare a bath for him and told him what to do when he was done.

She exited the bathroom and saw Lars sitting quietly and observing the street below.

"You didn't cheat, did you?"

"No," he said and quirked a brow at her wet hands. "What do you take me for?"

She sat down on her seat while they resumed the game. Somehow she seemed to notice how bushy his eyebrows were. It made his face appear rouge and his cheekbone sharper.

Rocks played a red number and finally, they rounded up the game.

"I don't know why you keep winning," Lars muttered as he piled the cards and kept it where he'd picked it.

"I'm just a pro at it."

"You didn't just say that."

She laughed at his scrunched face. "I did." She stood up. "I better go check on Dan."

She walked to the bathroom while he walked quietly to the sitting room. Dan didn't want to leave the bath so she had to force him.

"Dan, come on. You are going to get sick if you stay in the water too long."

"I don't care." He folded his hands against his lean chest, his head leaning on the headrest. The water lapped against his brown skin due to the movement and while he fluttered his wet lashes at her, she almost gave in. Almost.

"I will leave you in here and lock you up if you don't get out of that tub!"

Dan faked a yelp. "I totally don't want that."

"Dan!"

"Okay, okay." Then he made to move out of the water and tried hiding his thing from her. "I like it when you say my name."

He almost tripped.

"You don't need to fall down trying to cover anything. There's a towel here."

She helped him hang it by his waist when he walked towards how. Somehow, she felt closer to him than they'd ever been at the highland when he'd sneak away from home to go find her. Now he's here as her child and her junior brother... maybe both.

She carried him on suspended arms to the room and dropped him before the bed.  Searching the few of the clothes Barn and Shayne had gifted her in Shipley, she took out a light colored baggy T-shirt and lay it on the bed  along with his shorts for him to wear. She helped him tame his wild curls with her ungloved fingers, noticing how he loved it and seemed to drift closer to her seated form.

"You need a haircut."

"Nope." He grinned boyishly at her raised brows, showing a toothless gum.

She sighed and tapped his forehead. "I'm coming, wear this." She left him to sit on the bed as she walked to the bathroom.

After washing his pants for him, she exited the bathroom again to see him with a pair of oversized socks on his feet. He turned to face her with an unsure look on his face.