~ 26 ~

After dinner, Alex and his parents went into his father's office to speak privately.

"So, how are the contestants? The ones that you've met already." His father asked, taking his rightful seat behind the desk.

Alex shrugged his shoulders and sat down on one of the chairs opposite the desk. "They seem nice."

"Have you spoken with Raquel?" His mother asked this time, taking the seat beside him.

"Yes, I have." Alex breathed. He knew she'd asked this question eventually, there was no secret when they were growing up that she wanted him and Raquel to be together.

"Hmm, how was it?"

"Sofia." King Stefan sighed.

"What? There's nothing wrong with asking."

"It was alright, but there are a lot of girls mom. Raquel isn't the only one." Alex stated matter-of-factly, wanting to get out of that conversation.

"I know that and that's why I asked. I know that you fancied her growing up, but there are a lot of girls now, so think wisely before choosing your bride, alright?"

"I will." Alex promised, sensing that both his parents could see that Raquel wasn't the same Raquel as before, and they were a little worried that he might pick her due to their history.

"Will you be meeting any of the girls tomorrow?" His father asked this time.

"No."

"Alright, you and Brianna will accompany me to the city tomorrow for the opening of the brand new cancer research centre."

"Your not coming?" Alex frowned and looked at his mother.

"I can't. Madam Eunice and I have planned something for the contestants tomorrow." She explained.

Alex looked away from his mother and back over to his father. "There's a new cancer research centre?"

"Yes, the old one got accidentally burnt down."

"What? When did that happen?" He couldn't contain his shock. He was seventeen years old when it was built.

"Last year around the Christmas period." His father told him.

Alex was rendered speechless and stupefied, he had absolutely no idea that this happened and didn't even hear of it, because he was on the other side of the world in the Solomon Islands. This left him feeling horrible and he started to realise how much of a disappointment that he has become to his parents and people. He needed to start taking responsibility and start acting like the person he was born to be. A leader. A good leader that people look up too and seek help from.

"I had no idea." He muttered in a low voice, whilst looking at his hands. "Did anyone get hurt?"

"Fortunately no. By the grace of God, no one was hurt, everyone got out safely with only a few sustaining minor injuries even though the whole building was blazing." His mother answered.

"Why don't you head upstairs and go to bed? We have a long car ride tomorrow." His father told him.

Nodding his head, he stood up and walked over to his mother, pecked her on the cheek and then walked out of the office, trying to come to terms with what had happened. He missed so much when he was away, refusing to come back home and felt so guilty about it that he didn't notice the person in front of him and walked straight into them, knocking them over.

"Ow!" The person cried out on the floor and this seemed to have brought Alex of his trail of thoughts.

"Graciella, are you alright?" He asked in concern and crouched down, when he saw that it was the familiar blonde haired girl.