~ 3 ~

The Royɑl Family

Riding into town, he immediately caught the attention of people nearby because of Hercules. It wasn't uncommon for people to ride into town on a horse but it wasn't really common anymore and looked a little out of place with all the vehicles around and the advancement of the town with the modern age. But although the town had developed greatly it still had its old, charming architecture embedded into it from its cobblestone streets to fountains and the few of the shops and stores around.

"Who's that?" Alex heard this question ring through the public in hushed murmurs.

Looking at a boy no older than fifteen nearby, he trotted over to him. "Where is the nearest stable?"

It took a while for the young boy to answer because he was in awe at the magnificent horse before him. "In Carlisle Street...I can show you if you'd like."

"I'd appreciate that." Alex answered with a nod and got off of Hercules.

"There is something about him. He looks familiar." Alex heard a elderly woman nearby say to another woman, as he and the young boy walked by.

The walk didn't take that long, roughly ten minutes towards the east, the part of the town that was nearest to the woods.

"Mr. Greene!" The young boy called out as they neared a red barn-stable.

Looking at it, Alex saw that it wasn't nearly as big or well kept as the one at the palace but it would do for now. It was once red but now that paint was peeling off and behind the stable was a large field that extended down to the river's edge and allowed the horses freedom to run around within the fence of course. This part of the town still maintained its old town charm.

Walking out of the stable in a plaid shirt, loose jeans with a leather apron over, cowboy boots and cowboy hat on while wiping his hand on a old handkerchief was a familiar face who also happened to be the owner of the stable.

Seeing who the young boy was with, the elderly man's eyes widened in surprise and he quickly removed his hat and bowed. "Your highness."

The young boy pivoted around to look at Alex in shock, putting two and two together. "You're Prince Alexander."

"Alex." Alex grinned at the boy in amusement before walking forward to Mr. Greene. "What did I tell you about bowing."

Chuckling, Mr. Greene stood back up and wore his hat smiling. "What can I say, old habits die hard."

"It's been so long." Alex smiled and they hugged before pulling apart. "So...this is where you've been hiding all these years?"

Mr. Greene placed his hands on his hips and looked around the place. "Yep. This is my hideout."

"I thought that you would be in Hawaii or Tahiti, soaking up the sunlight." Teased Alex.

"I get so much sunlight here. I don't need to go anywhere."

"Wait, you twos know each other?" The young boy said, still gobsmacked.

"Yes. I used to be the stable master at the palace." Mr. Greene told him.

"He was the one who actually taught me how to ride." Alex added.

"Speaking of which, this is one handsome horse." Mr. Greene said, stroking Hercules mane.

"Yeah, he is." Alex said proudly, looking at his horse. "He's Chestnut's mare."

"Really? How is she?"

"She's old but still got her feisty spirit."

Mr. Greene laughed then looked over at the young boy. "Close your mouth before you swallow a fly...this is Curtis, my grandson."

"Hello." Alex turned and shook the still, slightly stunned boy's hand.

"Take his highness's horse..."

"Hercules." Alex answered the nonverbal question.

"Take Hercules to our best stable." Mr. Greene told his grandson before Alex gave over the leash to Curtis and walked into the stables. "So, what brings you to town?"

"What do you mean?"

Mr. Greene gave Alex a pointed look. "I know you better than you think. You haven't set foot in this town in nearly nine years, so why now."

Alex released a deep sigh as they walked over to the side of the stable, towards the fence that barricaded the field. "Dad and I had a disagreement."

"Yeah?"

"About me marrying before I ascend to the throne on my twenty first birthday."

"You know, I never liked that tradition." Mr. Greene told Alex honestly. Although he was royalty, he saw him like a son and was always honest with him.

Alex nodded and rest his arms on the top part of the fence, watching the other horses run around freely on the field, grazing the grass and drinking water from the river as they pleased.

"...Me too. I hate it and I've been avoiding it but mom and dad are already fed up with my behaviour and took matters into their own hands."

The elder man frowned. "What do you mean?"

Alex let out a short, humourless chuckle. "They've decided to host a contest and invite the eligible young women to take part in it, for a chance to win my hand in marriage."

Mr. Greene looked down and shook his head in disbelief. This is not right. What were his parents thinking.

"And they are already starting to arrive at the palace." Alex muttered dryly, watching the horses.

"Mr. Greene!" Both Alex and Mr. Greene locked behind them to see a young man, about Alex age jogging towards them.

"What is it, Emmanuel?"

"The palace guards are in town and are on their way here. They are searching for the Prince." Angus panted, coming to a stop in front of the duo. "Why do they think that he'll be here?"

❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❦❧❦

CAST;

Kevin Costner ɑs Mr. Greene

Hɑrry Collett ɑs Curtis