~ 25 ~

It was a beautiful afternoon as Alex walked alongside the pond's edge, he had collected some smooth pebbles nearby then he stopped by the sallow section of the pond and stepped into the cool water. Looking out at the water's top, he began flicking some of the pebbles across the surface, watching them skip across perfectly. His grandfather taught him the trick on how to hold the pebble and throw it, for it to bounce over the surface numerous times before sinking into the water. Three weeks have already passed since the contest began.

The colourful evening sky reflected beautifully on the pond's clear water like a mirror and Alex felt bad for disturbing it so he stopped and went back over to the land, and sat down on the grass, watching the birds flying overhead instead. Five minutes later, the snapping of a branch or twig had him turning to look behind him where he saw Terence walking towards him with a apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry to disturb you your highness, but dinner is served."

"Join me, will you?"

"I...I beg your pardon, your highness." Terence was a little taken back by the request.

Alex smiled at the old man and pat the area next to him. "Sit."

"...But your highness, dinner is ready."

"And it can wait."

"...Alright." The old butler mumbled and walked over before he sat down beside his Prince.

"I hope you don't mind if I ask you a personally question Terence?"

"Not at all."

Alex licked his lips and looked back at the butler. "Have you ever been married? It's okay if you don't want to answer the question, I'll understand."

"No, it's alright your highness." Terence gave him a smile and looked out across the water with a far away look in his eyes. "...I was married when I was younger, her name was Beatrice and she was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen. We met at church when we were both fifteen and married at twenty."

Alex listened intentively and watched him take a deep breath before he continued.

"...She fell pregnant a year later and we were so happy. We've been wanting a child for months and we're over the moon once we found out that she was pregnant." Terence said then a sad look washed over his face. "Unfortunately, we had a stillbirth and it broke our hearts, Beatrice's especially and that led to her falling gravely ill. She never recovered from it and.....two years later she passed away."

"I am so sorry Terence, I didn't know and I shouldn't have asked you that question. That was very insensitive of me, I apologise." Alex told the butler sincerely, angry at himself for asking that question.

Terence looked back at him and gave him a small smile. "It was a long time ago and doesn't hurt as much as it used too."

"Still, I apologise Terence."

"Thank you your highness...um, I think it best if we return to the palace. Your mother will be looking for us." Terence stated matter-of-factly, standing up.

Alex chuckled and stood up too, dusting himself off. "That you are not wrong."

After learning of his father condition a few days prior to that, he now fully understood why his parents were pushing for him to marry and take over the throne. Old age was catching up to them and he couldn't help but think back to him bumping into Avery in the palace. That was the first time for them to speak to another after she arrived there, and even though it wasn't how he wanted it to go, it felt good just seeing her up close and speaking to her. There was just something about her that made his heart beat slightly faster in his chest, he didn't know what it was but it was the good kind of feeling.

❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❦❧❦