“Will do.”

Returning to the warehouse, Tony ignored the scanners telling him he had gained two pounds since the night before.  He moved back to his ragged desk chair and stared at the screen.  His mind drifted back to means of getting some cash.

Butch entered using a cotton swab to clean his ear.

“Camera 3 isn’t rotating,” Tony said not bothering to look up.  “It probably needs new batteries.”

“I’ll get it,” Butch replied tossing the swab into a nearby waste basket.  “I know you don’t get along with ladders.”

“Nope.”

A few minutes later, Butch had replaced the batteries.  That was indeed the problem as the faux security camera began swinging back and forth across the yard.  Satisfied, he began walking back to the warehouse when he saw the van pull up to the closed gate.  He put down the ladder and went to investigate.

“Stork Express” was on the side of the van.  Instead of the dumb, slow moving birds often featured in cartoon, the figure on the van was sleek and fast.  Its steely eyes gave the impression of determination and purpose.  In its beak was the trademark diaper, but instead of carrying babies, it carried two packages wrapped in pink and blue ribbons.

“I have a package,” Lance said getting out of the van.  He opened the side door and removed a box wrapped in brown paper.

“Who is it from?”  Butch asked.

“Doesn’t say.  Just has a delivery address.  If you’ll sign here.”  He handed Butch the electronic tablet.

“Did you change the batteries?” Tony asked hearing Butch return.

“Yeah,” the slimmer man replied.  “And cleaned off some of the pigeon droppings.  Tony noticed the package.

“What do you have there?”

“I don’t know.  A courier just brought it.”  He put the box down and began opening it.  “Holeeee….. “

The box contained an expensive, professional grade digital camera complete with various lenses.  Butch pulled them out and placed them on the table.  Next he removed a thick business envelope.  Tony snatched it from his hand.

“Let me see that.”  He opened it and removed the letter inside.  As he unfolded the paper, several hundred dollar bills fell out onto the floor.  Butch dove down to retrieve them as Tony looked on in bewilderment.  Finally Tony began to read the letter.

“Here is the equipment we promised as well as a down payment for your services.  Please follow the below listed itinerary and instructions.  Once you are finished, e-mail the photos to the listed address.  Once we have the photos we will contact you with instructions where to pick up the balance of your payment.  Fulfill your obligations and we may have future work for you.”

Tony looked over at his partner busily counting the stack of money.

“I don’t get it,” went on looking down further on the letter.  “They want us to go to certain parks around…”

“Tony,” Butch interrupted, “there is $1500 dollars here.”  Tony gave Butch a disapproving glance, not happy with being interrupted.  He continued.

“As I was saying, they want us to go to certain parks around the valley and photograph kids and families covertly.”

“Why covertly?”

“Your guess is as good as mine.  It says the memory card provided is encoded to automatically send the photo to an encrypted e-mail address once we are completed.”